Injector return hose leak, serious or not ?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

charentejohn
My Cars:

Injector return hose leak, serious or not ?

Post by charentejohn »

I have just been to my local garage here in France and the mechanic explained the problem, I think, at high speed. Taking it back next week for a fix but would like to know if I am guessing right on what he said.
Problem started with a pollution fail during my mot here. So put in injector etc cleaner and so far have driven about 200mls to clean the system. Seems it has done a better job than anticipated and cleaned stuff it shouldn't ?
I had this 4 months ago after adding cleaner, replaced 2x pressure sensors and most recently the garage cleaned the EGR which was causing rough tickover.

After 200mls with the additive I did think power was down a bit (10% ?) but running ok. Then the engine 'ran on' for a couple of seconds and the engine warning light stayed on.
Went to the garage and he showed me the diagnostic showing the injectors with varying pressures, and then I got a bit lost. I think he is saying that there is a leak, or more, on the return pipes causing pressure fluctuations and I should bring it in for a fix next week. No problem but what should be involved ? He was saying he will disconnect the returns and test to see where the problem is.

My main question is will this ultimately involve new injectors or will I be lucky and just have to replace O rings on the return pipes. I did notice some 'damp' around the injectors.
So did I understand him right ? I am being optimistic as he didn't ask the vin no so isn't ordering anything.
You must be the change you want to see in the world - Mahatma Gandhi
Xantia HDI 90SX C3 2005 and C3 2006 both 1.4i sensodrives
citronut
My Cars:

Re: Injector return hose leak, serious or not ?

Post by citronut »

if you send me the last 8 digits of your chassis/VIN No. i will look what is likely ,

and also pm. you your cars birth certificate
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
charentejohn
My Cars:

Post by charentejohn »

Thanks Malcolm, vin no is VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff] (also sent to you by PM).
Hopefully they will do what they normally do, I drop it off for a day, they fix it with no visible signs of violence and magically (for about £50) it works again.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

I have to say what you quote from the French Garage is the correct method with injector problems.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

if its the main injector feed pipe/s leaking or the leak off pipes

here is price and part No.'s

this is from the pump to the rail
Part Number Description Quantity Price excl. VAT Price incl. VAT Total incl. VAT Selection
1570F2 OUTLET PIPE 18.64 GBP 22.37 GBP 22.37 GBP

as usual these days the cylinders are the oposite ends to what they always used to be 1 is 4 and 4 is 1 :roll: :? #-o :wink:

this is pipes for cylinder 1 and 3
Part Number Description Quantity Price excl. VAT Price incl. VAT Total incl. VAT Selection
1570J7 OUTLET PIPE 17.52 GBP 21.02 GBP 21.02 GBP

this is 2 and 4
1570J8 OUTLET PIPE 17.56 GBP 21.07 GBP 21.07 GBP

this is the leak off pipe set
1573SR JOINT 12.71 GBP 15.25 GBP 15.25 GBP
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
charentejohn
My Cars:

Post by charentejohn »

Well they tested it a few days ago and found two injectors gave low readings on the Lexia. Went in for repair, to clean/replace pipework, and after testing individual injectors with a test kit seems a new injector is required.
Test kit was a set of tubes like the bottle and water DIY ones I think.
Didn't surprise me as I have always had a ticking noise which goes off at 3k rpm which I was told is a leaky injector sign. This may also explain failing a pollution test ?

So I need one injector (part no 1980-93 according to cit serv) and have searched around for a good price as exchange. So far UK £110+£25 surcharge FR £103+£38 surcharge so france wins I reckon as it is local. Unless someone knows a better place to buy. I may try a local breaker on Friday but not hopeful, tend to be expensive here as I would not pay more than £40 for a used one. If anyone has a known working used one to sell I would consider it.

Not the end of the world, car can be driven but they just said power would be down a bit, which is true. I would like to fix it before selling though.