Tailgate opening randomly C5 X7 Exclusive Tourer

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Lex_Andrews
My Cars:

Tailgate opening randomly C5 X7 Exclusive Tourer

Post by Lex_Andrews »

Hi all,
I'm having a couple of issues that have reared 6 weeks before holiday. Latest one.
2008 C5 X7 2.2Hdi Exclusive Tourer.

This morning went to scrapyard for my Mum's Mondeo. Came out of scrapyard and Tailgate is open and car unlocked as mirrors were deployed. Drove up to another scrappy 10 mins away. Took toolkit out of boot and closed it. Locked the car and a beep and tailgate started opening yet the car itself was still locked!I closed the boot and pressed the lock button on the key fob and opening tailgate again! Pressed the unlock button (mirrors deployed) closed tailgate and pressed the lock button this time it stayed locked. 30 mins later pull up at home. I got tools out of boot. Lock car and Tailgate starts to rise again! Close and lock the car, gave it 20 secs and opening tailgate....

I opened the key fob which also happens to be my main one (as the spare doesn't unlock the car or tailgate but will lock the car, I've replaced the battery already). To see if there is anything that could be causing this problem and it looks fine. Went outside and car's unlocked and tailgate is in the air. I realize I may of caught the button when pushing the fob back together but the car is parked 30 ft away.

Adding this to the other niggles I have at the moment, Car doesn't reach full height and the radio lasts 10 mins max till Eco Mode. I'm thinking the main car battery is on it's way out. I don't have a battery tester on hand to check voltage. The car was in at Evans Halshaw in Doncaster back in 2013 for a random opening tailgate to which no cause was found. My local garage have the car it as I write this to see if it's a simple fix or Main dealer.

Do I need to look anywhere else for possible reasons for this? We go to the South of France and Northern Spain in the car in 6 weeks and I'd like to get it sorted beforehand.
vborovic
Locked user account
My Cars: A used Citroen

Re: Tailgate opening randomly C5 X7 Exclusive Tourer

Post by vborovic »

Try changing the battery, it will help wit eco mode, pushing it to the 30 mins max ... also, it is know that low battery can cause all sorts of electrical glitches, wouldn't be too surprised the tailgate opening one of them (although first I've heard of such a case)
wurlycorner
My Cars: Two C5's...
Lots of CXs...
A couple of Xantia...
A C2...
Lots of Prelude's...
And a Sunny!

Re: Tailgate opening randomly C5 X7 Exclusive Tourer

Post by wurlycorner »

Mine has tailgate gremlins too (randomly opens sometimes when I open the drivers door, or unlock the car etc.)

I haven't looked into it yet, but the advice on here is that the loom (wires) between the body and the tailgate are probably damaged or have internal breaks in them, because they're very thin wires (due to the multiplex system). That's inside the rubber boot, where they get folded back/forth as the boot is opened and closed. If it's that, it should be a relatively easy thing to fix by splicing in new wires (I'd advise making sure the garage use solder joints, rather than crappy scotch-locks, otherwise it's bound to fail again/cause more problems).
--
Iain

1x '85 CX GTi Turbo s1 (metallic blue)
2x '85 CX GTi Turbo s2 t1 (metallic silver & grey)
'88 CX GTi Turbo s2 T2 (metallic light blue)
CX DTR T2 Safari (silver)
2x '96 Xantia Activa (Black & metallic green)
'01 C5 2.0 HDi LX Estate (Blue)