Getting wire to battery through C3 bulkhead

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

charentejohn
My Cars:

Getting wire to battery through C3 bulkhead

Post by charentejohn »

Ok, I give in, how do I get a wire through the bulkhead on a 2006 C3. Lots of grommets but I can't seem to push a wire through, even using my trusty wire coathanger tool.
This is a LHD one but should be the same in principle as UK ones.

On the driver's side (left as battery is there) I can find the cable that goes to the bonnet release. I have tried going down the side of the grommet but looks like the bulkhead is double skined ? so veers off at an angle. I also tried pushing the hanger alongside the cable in the grommet but no go, very solid.
I can see a really large grommet to the right of this, looks like a cupholder about 5cm accross, where does this go or is it just a blanking grommet ?

Anywhere I have missed or should I just keep trying the release cable route, would be nice to know if bulkhead is double skinned so I can steer better trying to push forward.
This is to fit a trailer light supply, I reckon if I can get it throught the release catch grommet I can just tuck it under the trim along the inside of the sill with no dismantling. Last wire and all done.
The last car I fitted a towbar to was many years ago and I just put it beside other cables as the older cars just had £ coin size grommets with a thin membrane so really easy.
You must be the change you want to see in the world - Mahatma Gandhi
Xantia HDI 90SX C3 2005 and C3 2006 both 1.4i sensodrives
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: Getting wire to battery through C3 bulkhead

Post by Peter.N. »

If you are just looking for a 12 volt feed you can run it from the cigarette lighter.

Peter
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Both the C5s which I've owned I've wired for towing with 12N & 12S sockets. For the live positives for battery and fridge power I've taken 17amp wires directly from the car's battery to inline fuses, then down the back of the engine and into the conduit covering the fuel lines. The wires have continued under the floor, up over the fuel tank and through a grommet under the rear seats. From there they lead into the boot area to relays installed in the storage boxes, before joining the 7core cables to the sockets.
2010 C5 X7 VTR+Nav 160
1998 1.5 Saxo
1998 Pug 306 1.9D
2018 C4 B7 VTR+
2011 Citroen C1
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

we got wires trough Northern Mikes berlingo bulkhead through the throttle cable grommet
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Are there no spare wires for this very purpose? What about using a "faisceau specifique"?
charentejohn
My Cars:

Post by charentejohn »

All good suggestions and I will now be off outside to check out a few.
I hadn't considered the lighter feed but would mean mesing with the trim.
I like the conduit underneath idea, never thought of that, I have some small conduit myself so could attach that to something underneath ? I will have a look as I wouldn't just attach the cable itself but conduit would mean no messing with trim.
I will check out the throttle cable grommet but reckon they may all be like the bonnet cable, that is a solid moulded grommet. Found a photo on e-bay and shows a solid block with a cover on the inside. No way to push through but I may be able to drill just the last bit if necessary.
I looked at the faiscau specifique wiring and seemed a lot of dismantling of trim, plugs into the fuseboard and other sockets. Already down the relay route as this is the last wire.
I will report any progress later, I hope :) .
charentejohn
My Cars:

Post by charentejohn »

Decision made based on viewing inside and out of the bulkhead with a strong light, so I can see that there is no way in. Very well made little cars these as all entry points are sealed with solid rubber grommets which will hold all cables etc firmly but with no chance of pushing a cable past them.
I considered the cigarette lighter route, as at least inside the car but the carpets are one piece so would need cutting or at least lots of pulling up to get access.

So, final answer, is the conduit underneath route. I will go down the battery side tying the conduit to the brake pipes as I go, this will get me a pipe (conduit) up to the battery protecting the cable. At the rear I can come up into the boot in the corner then on to the relay.
For conduit I will look for some of the black polypropylene type tubing used for watering systems as the cable should just about fit inside that and it would give good impact protection. I was an electrician so can't get away from protecting cables. Sadly no existing conduit under there. This would just look like a normal bit if piping from underneath anyway, has the advantage of having nothing running through the cabin, all external and easily got at. Well that is me convinced anyway :) .