Noisey Auxillary Tensioner Pulley on Citroen Xantia?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Re: Noisey Auxillary Tensioner Pulley on Citroen Xantia?

Post by Stickyfinger »

Well yes, protection is a good thing, and I also am treating my Xantia as I go.....so you will get no argument from me about improving what Citroen gives us and my point is protection. However why bother if the bay never gets ?

Sure, cooling is important, but with the modern HDI the engine oil is really not stressed by heat as they run cool...

Now a V6 petrol may be different as it really is jammed in there and needs all the help it can get, speeding up the under body airflow is the key, under-body air flow speed is important as it removes more heat because there is a tray which keeps the engine bay air flow moving around the engine before being sucked out behind the engine.

Still happy to accept other can remove them without instant damage if they wish, also having easy to use ramps my very well influence my option on if they get in the way (as I am sure they do without)
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

don't forget to treat the suspension strut tops to.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
Dommo
My Cars: Current
07 C5 VTX+ 2.2 HDi 173hp
97 S1 Activa
06 Boxster S
93 XM 2.1 Turbo SD

Previous cars
91 Toyota Soarer UZZ32 Active Suspension
97 S1 VSX 1.9 Turbo D
99 Xantia Activa
98 2.1TD Xantia
99 306

Post by Dommo »

Undertrays help ensure air goes through the radiator too IIRC, the low pressure generated in the engine bay helps draw air through the rads. (or so I have read)
Dommo
My Cars: Current
07 C5 VTX+ 2.2 HDi 173hp
97 S1 Activa
06 Boxster S
93 XM 2.1 Turbo SD

Previous cars
91 Toyota Soarer UZZ32 Active Suspension
97 S1 VSX 1.9 Turbo D
99 Xantia Activa
98 2.1TD Xantia
99 306

Post by Dommo »

http://www.autospeed.com/cms/A_113176/article.html

Autospeed do some VERY interesting articles. They modified a prius with undertray style modifications and managed to improve the MPG significantly. And that's a car that is already designed to be economical!

Edit, parts 2 and 3 are here -

http://www.autospeed.com/cms/article.html?&A=2160

http://www.autospeed.com/cms/article.html?&A=2162
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Undertray always kept on for me. To many sensors and leccy connections getting sprayed with salt etc. The pulleys are vulnerable too and the belts carry dirt everywhere.
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
Zelandeth
Donor 2024
My Cars: 2006 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi.
1988 Renault 25 Monaco 2.0i.
1985 Sinclair C5.
1984 Trabant 601S.
1975 Rover 3500.
1973 AC Model-70.

Post by Zelandeth »

Just found the cover for the oil drain hole in my Xantia's one in the boot, wondered what that lump in the carpet was. Will refit that next oil change.

Unless you're fiddling with the underside of your engine every five seconds I can't see any reason why not to fit the tray.

Generally the design will be such that it helps draw air out of the rear of the engine bay when the car is in motion. Not necessarily having much impact on the radiator, but it can help the general ambient temperature and to help reduce hotspots.

I had the splash guards out of my Skoda for a few weeks last year when I was painting them and was astonished how much grime appeared in the engine bay seemingly over night. Granted that's a rear engined car so probably exaggerates that effect a bit. There was also noticeably more mechanical noise audible outside, imagine with an XUD clattering away in there that sound isolation is more important.

The one real downside and annoyance has already been noted though and that is that it can make finding an oil leak harder! Mine marks its territory a little, but left or right side varies depending on the slope as it's dripping off the under tray.
Current fleet:
06 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi, 88 Renault 25 Monaco, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 75 Rover 3500, 73 AC Model 70.
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

well my Xud 1.9 TD diesel xantia estate is 16 this year, the under tray to replace would have cost over a hundred quid
its usefulness started to become a problem every time work on the engine was delayed by its removal, don't forget garages charge by the hour and if it takes an hour to get the under tray off because of seized bolts that's money wasted, this often lead to damage of the under tray and it was often put back with zip ties to hold it in place.
it is definitely something off personal choice, I can see the point made about more modern vehicles and sensitive electronics that might need protection from the environment, salt in the winter etc. but many don't ride on pressurized LHM hydraulic fluid.
As has been pointed out fuel savings are minimal and we don't know the specific test conditions how much weight was in the vechicle how many passengers it was carrying which fuel was used etc.

I started out talking about Serpentine belt tensioner pulley lubrication and somehow we got side-tracked by under trays the fact is that the engine bay of a 1.9TD Xud engine is pretty tight with not a lot of space for air circulation this also limits the spread of contaminants from the road, in a much later Hdi engine bay there seems to be more room between the radiator and the engine than that of an Xud engined car.

Zelandeth says his car marks it ground a little have you tried wrapping the oil bung in ptfe tape ten times before screwing it back in? The copper washers are prone to leakage. if not try replacing the cam cover gasket and using some very high temp engine silicone on the top and bottom of the new one.

I was only trying to help point out a way to lubricate a tensioner pulley in situ as for some reason they don't seem to last as long as they did without developing a rattle.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
Zelandeth
Donor 2024
My Cars: 2006 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi.
1988 Renault 25 Monaco 2.0i.
1985 Sinclair C5.
1984 Trabant 601S.
1975 Rover 3500.
1973 AC Model-70.

Post by Zelandeth »

Pretty sure my oil leak is indeed the cam cover...its just not got to the top of the to do list.

Will definitely be adding the belt tensioner to my regular lubrication/vehicle check schedule though. Only takes a few minutes to do afterall.

At least you don't need to manually grease the water pump and clutch release bearings on the Xantia...
Current fleet:
06 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi, 88 Renault 25 Monaco, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 75 Rover 3500, 73 AC Model 70.
falling-out-with-my-car

Sometimes the cam cover bolts can shake loose with vibration occasionally they benefit from a pinch up with a hand held spanner.