Xantia pull-type clutch principles

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Cornishcitroen

Xantia pull-type clutch principles

Post by Cornishcitroen »

I am putting a Xantia turbo diesel engine into a C15D van but I need to understand the principles of operating to make the clutch bracket. It's a pull type with the integral clutch release bearing.

Looking at the gearbox from the front of the van or car, does the lever on the pivot shaft need to move forward (away from the gearbox) or backwards (towards the box)?

I think it needs to do the former but I'd like to check before I make up new brackets as this will be the reverse of what happens with the normal C15D with a conventional release bearing that pushes the pressure plate.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Re: Xantia pull-type clutch principles

Post by RichardW »

Hi, welcome!

The arm moves forward, as you say the reverse of normal. On cars fitted with this clutch, this is achieved by the end of the inner cable being fixed, and the outer cable does the moving :roll: I'd have thought if you just connect the existing clutch cable, as long as it fits in the release arm, then it should work - although make sure the cable is not too tightly held down, as it needs to move a bit to take up the movement.
Richard W
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

for the bracket why not just go to a breakers yard and purchase one from a PSA car that has one already fitted,

i think if you intend to use the C15 cable (if the protruding inner is long enough ) you will need to modify/make up different fittings at the ends of both inner and outer cable ends,
without re/looking at a back to front clut units cable to refresh my memory, i think both inner and outer have a large round plastic bush type of fitting,
maybe you could cut a slot in these bushes only just wide enough for the inner cable to pass out through, from the cable on the car you might rob the bracket from
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
flying clutchman
My Cars:

Post by flying clutchman »

you say you're only changing the engine, not the gearbox. If that's the case I would try to find a push type clutch of the same size as the pull-type. I'm not even sure the pull type will operate in the standard box. Will the bigger flywheel fit OK? I'm sure there's a clutch fitted to a peugeot expert which is a larger push type. All this assumes that the td clutch is bigger (i seem to remember they are) than the standard c15. I'll now go and look up LUK repsportal and see if I'm right! perhaps I should have done that first! Oh well too much time on my hands today.
flying clutchman
My Cars:

right, a quick look through the said repsportal confirms that the dispatch/partner 1.9d has a 215mm clutch as does the TD. The clutch spline is the same on all three clutches, the bearing is the same as the c15, the cover is the right size but you would have to check dowel and bolt holes are the sam. Could always drill them if neccessary. For the price of a clutch kit (about £90) you will have no extra work and the existing cable can be retained. If this info is totally useless to you I apologise
Cornishcitroen

Post by Cornishcitroen »

Thanks chaps

That confirms what i thought. I'm using the matching Xantia box so have the whole powerplant in the van. i would like to retain as many standard parts as possible so favour doing something with the existing clutch cable but it's a bit short and needs to push the operating lever instead of pulling it.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

as you have the XANT box does it not have the cable bracket still on it??

also you might find the speedo readseither way tooooo high or toooo low,

years back i fitted a pug 104 i believe box to a Visa, on test driving it the speedo was reading 100MPH and the car was doing no more than around 30MPH,

both cars ran 13" rims, so obviously the speedos are calibrated differently
Regards, malcolm.

flying clutchman
My Cars:

I think the cable is the biggest problem. Theoretically if you could find a way of splicing the end of the xantia cable onto the existing one it would work. How you do this and how you work out how long exactly, I don't know. Although the earlier xantia cables were manual adjust.From what you say the box is already in the vehicle, otherwise it would probably been better to try and keep the existing box.
Cornishcitroen

Post by Cornishcitroen »

My latest thinking is to route the cable round the other way i.e. round the front of the engine and behind the radiator. That way it pulls the lever the right and seems just about long enough. However, i think i may have buggered the clutch up by pulling it the wrong way in my earlier experiments....
Cornishcitroen

Post by Cornishcitroen »

BTW, the reason i went with the Xantia box was I had a whole donor car and the original box is a four speed.
flying clutchman
My Cars:

a four speed? Wow, haven't seen one of them for about 20 years.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

Cornishcitroen wrote:BTW, the reason i went with the Xantia box was I had a whole donor car and the original box is a four speed.
so you need the likes of a BX 5 speed TD box then,

i dont think re/routing the cable round the front will be the answer, as cables do not like being curved to tight, and this route would probably require the cable to come of the bulkhead and up the back of the engine before it went forward and round to the clutch lever,

cant you convert it so it runs the appropriate diameter conventional push clutch, from the likes of an early TD XANT????
Regards, malcolm.

citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

ps.

here is the OE part no. for the early XANT TD push type clutch kit, with a plate diameter of 200mm

2052 E3

you will also require the fork, and lever arm from a push type box, this will fit straight into the TD box you have
Regards, malcolm.

Cornishcitroen

Post by Cornishcitroen »

Thanks Malcolm.

The cable run doesn't look too bad around the front of the engine. At least the curves aren't any worse than the standard layout.

Meanwhile, I have found another reason why the clutch wouldn't work, even if I had connected it up correctly. I have the wrong fork size for the integral release bearing. I need one with 59mm between the prongs. The one I've got is 48.5mm. I have sent some enquiries to suppliers on ebay.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

here is OE price and part No. for the pull type fork complete with lever arm peg and spring clip

Part Number Description Quantity Price excl. VAT Price incl. VAT Total incl. VAT Selection
0000211527 FORK LEVER 52.34 GBP 62.81 GBP 62.81 GBP

if you dont like this price do a gooooogly search with the part No.
Regards, malcolm.