What's this fluid?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ivesy123

What's this fluid?

Post by ivesy123 »

I have a Xsara Picasso 07 Reg 1.6 petrol with about 66k. The garage have said the fluid used for the power steering is not correct. ie not the one recommended for my car as it is not red and is too thin. Mine is runnier and an amber colour with a tinge of red! At first he said he thought it had been topped up with brake fluid which horrified me.

I've had the car nearly three years now and in that time never topped up the fluid. The garage I usually take the car to said a mineral based fluid can look like the fluid I had.

The RAC who said the whining noise coming from my car was likely to be a failing power steering pump. My usual garage agreed but as I'm wanting to claim under my warranty they wont get involved. So this is why I took it elsewhere. They (my usual garage) also said if it was the wrong fluid or brake fluid had been added then it would have caused a lot more damage than just the pump if it was present before I bought it three years ago!.

I've had the old fluid drained and kept a sample of the old one to get it examined but where can I take it? The garage I've taken it to are saying if the incorrect fluid has been used then it is likely that was the cause of the failing pump therfore the warranty may not cover it. They've said however if I can prove it is the correct fluid then they will happily replace the pump and explain to the warranty company it had nothing to do with the fluid.

I rang the warranty company and explained what had happened they've just told me to take it to another garage. But as I've said the old fluids been drained off and replaced with the "correct" fluid. I've booked the car in with Citroen who even after being told the RAC, Croxdales and Halfords all say the pump is failing still insist on charging me £50 for a diagnostic. I'm a bit starpped for cash at the moment as I've just had a whole new exhaust fitted and would feel happier going ahead with the work if I knew I was covered!

Anyway sorry for waffling on I need to know what this fluid is and how can I get it tested or do I just go around garages with my sample and ask them what they think it is?
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: What's this fluid?

Post by myglaren »

There are companies that will do testing of oil and hydraulic fluid for i.e. contamination purposes:

Google search

I have no idea of the costs that might be involved or which ones to choose.
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

I would not bother with analysis, it is not going to fix anything. If the pump is noisy, it will need replacing one day, but might keep working in its current state for years ( or ast least until you have some spare cash).
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

ivesy123 wrote:I have a Xsara Picasso 07 Reg 1.6 petrol with about 66k. The garage have said the fluid used for the power steering is not correct. ie not the one recommended for my car as it is not red and is too thin.
This is not neccessarily correct. From memory, the Citroen supplied power-steering fluid is a lighter colour than the compatible fluids from the likes of Comma and others, which tend to be a darker red.

I don't think the Picasso uses LDS in the power-steering. As far as I'm aware it used standard power-steering fluid. I think you'd have found out long before now if the incorrect fluid was in it ..
ivesy123

Post by ivesy123 »

Thank you for the replies. The barmy thing is I'm taking it to another garage today and the fluid won't (hopefully) be an issue as it's been replaced. So the new garage will think the pump is failing, tell the warranty company who wil try and get out of paying. I've been told by one garage this doesn't come under wear and tear and by another it does so it's a bit of a lottery if it is. I've asked the warranty company and all they tell me is get a garage to look at it then ring them to discuss.....
ivesy123

Post by ivesy123 »

Thank you for the reply. I think what's probably happened is it's been topped up or replaced before I got it. Anyway Kwik Fit have just rang and said the new pump has made no difference to the whining noise. They now suspect it's the alternator! how can three garages get it so wrong?
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

I can't tell from here if is the alternator, pump or something else... But a restriction in the feed pipe from the reservoir to the pump could make both old and new pumps noisy.
ivesy123

Post by ivesy123 »

Thanks for the reply. Ok been back to garage and they say the pump has been leaking fluid onto the pulley. Once the pulley is disconnected the noise goes. So tomorrow I'm told once the new pulley is on everything will be ok....
Is this common? I'm frustrated because I don't know a lot about cars (really? ) and I have a healthy mistrust of garages after the way I've bee treated over the years. But halfords did this on moday and never mentioned the puley was covered in fluid!
I'll go ahead with the new pulley but I can't help feeling something isn't right!
ivesy123

Post by ivesy123 »

Garage just rang new pulley makes no difference. And they now say the pump wasn't leaking. Going to see them later to see what's going on!