C5 X7 Air con repair

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

SaabC5
My Cars: 09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive

Re: C5 X7 Air con repair

Post by SaabC5 »

Had the pipe replaced today, you can see the cracks in the pipe where it was leaking from. The replacement part has been revised so hopefully there will be no repeat of the issue. Pipe, regas, pressure test and labour worked out at £150 so not too bad.
09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive in Perla Nera black (the best colour) :wink:
vborovic
Locked user account
My Cars: A used Citroen

Post by vborovic »

Yep, definitely seems like a good year to change the pipe ... :D
Filberton

Post by Filberton »

Final update (I hope) on my too warm C5, all sorted and nice cool air once again. 8-) and thanks again for the suggestions and positive help

Apparently it was the condenser after all, that pipe was ok. It took them just 3hrs to find the leak remove and replace the condenser and re-gas. Total cost a tad over £300 so I can live with that, in fact pretty good. A fraction of main dealer prices and a great service. (I had priced parts at more than that but they managed to get discount and after market parts - condenser a mere £160 - after market obviously but they may actually make them for Citroen [as I found was the case on previous suspension parts]).

I'll give it a good test next week as I've got a 6hr road trip to Scotland. Hopefully it will once again it will be a cool car :lol:

Thanks Guys
Current: C5 X7 Exclusive 2.0 HDI Manual (2008)
C3 Puretech 1.2 Feel (2017)

Previous: Citroen C5 mk1 2.0 HDI,
Peugeots 407, 406, 406,205,309, 306 Meridian, 306 L, Peugeot 207L 1.4 manual (2003)
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

You won't need cold aircon up here lol
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Bob L'eponge

Post by Bob L'eponge »

I have just seen this thread, but my experience might be of help to someone who has the same problem. I have a 2009 'X7' C5 with the equivalent of about 110,000 miles on the clock. A few months ago my air-con wasn't getting cold, so I took to to my local main dealer here in France to be tested and recharged. They did a dye test and took me into the workshop to see show me that the condenser was leaking, using a UV lamp to point out the leak. They then offered to fit a new one for free as long as I paid for the service cost - essentially the cost of the recharge. They said that unless accident damaged a condenser should last the life of the car and so Citroen would pay for its replacement, which they did. I don't know if Citroen UK would do the same, or even if this is normal practice, but it might be worth arguing that the condenser should not fail in normal use. To be honest I am still a little amazed that I got a new condenser fitted for free!
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

EU consumer regs....fair use.

Large companies in the UK try everyday to get out of it....do not let them
in another case on the forum....12 months on a coil pack ?......piffle
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Bob L'eponge wrote:I have just seen this thread, but my experience might be of help to someone who has the same problem. I have a 2009 'X7' C5 with the equivalent of about 110,000 miles on the clock. A few months ago my air-con wasn't getting cold, so I took to to my local main dealer here in France to be tested and recharged. They did a dye test and took me into the workshop to see show me that the condenser was leaking, using a UV lamp to point out the leak. They then offered to fit a new one for free as long as I paid for the service cost - essentially the cost of the recharge. They said that unless accident damaged a condenser should last the life of the car and so Citroen would pay for its replacement, which they did. I don't know if Citroen UK would do the same, or even if this is normal practice, but it might be worth arguing that the condenser should not fail in normal use. To be honest I am still a little amazed that I got a new condenser fitted for free!
The amazes me, how on earth can such an argument have any strength to an item such as a condenser when you consider where they are located right at the front of the car, low down and peppered with high speed debris every time the car moves, bizarre. On this basis the manufacturer would be responsible for replacing windscreens, fog lights, the list goes on.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

An internal/main structure/manufacturing defect is covered.........maybe not covered is damage from big bugs, badgers and peasants
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
Bob L'eponge

Post by Bob L'eponge »

DickieG wrote:The amazes me, how on earth can such an argument have any strength to an item such as a condenser when you consider where they are located right at the front of the car, low down and peppered with high speed debris every time the car moves, bizarre. On this basis the manufacturer would be responsible for replacing windscreens, fog lights, the list goes on.
Because the condenser is behind the radiator, and so well protected from damage?
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Bob L'eponge wrote:
DickieG wrote:The amazes me, how on earth can such an argument have any strength to an item such as a condenser when you consider where they are located right at the front of the car, low down and peppered with high speed debris every time the car moves, bizarre. On this basis the manufacturer would be responsible for replacing windscreens, fog lights, the list goes on.
Because the condenser is behind the radiator, and so well protected from damage?
It isn't, it's located ahead of the radiator so it's the first thing to take the impact of debris/missiles, hence why I'm so surprised.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Redraven

Post by Redraven »

I have the same car. The condenser was leaking so it was replaced and re-gassed. Seems like another common fault on the new C5.
Citroen C5 VTR+ 2.0 HDI mK3.
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

Mine goes in for a new condenser tomorrow, under warranty from the dealer. Halfords found the leak (eventually), Arnold Clark, Aberdeen confirmed it and Citroen West Heath garage in Farnborough will be replacing it
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

New condenser fitted and car now icy cold. Phew.
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
bigjono
My Cars: 2009 citroen c5 vtr+ 2.2hdi 173bhp

Post by bigjono »

just about to try fit new condenser to my 2009 c5 vtr+ , says on here can be dropped in from top ? so the top panel comes off seperate from bumper ? or is it full bumper off job
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

I did mine without removing the bumper. Have some thin ply or thick cardboard handy to protect the radiator and/or condensor as you fit them as it can be a bit of a fiddle and you can easily mark the fins.
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(