Xantia Accumulator -where and What?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Blagarse Yank
My Cars:

Xantia Accumulator -where and What?

Post by Blagarse Yank »

Hi Guys, Loooong time no post!
Brief history:
My 1994 1.9TD (142,000 and still doing ok) has unexpectedly failed the MOT. The tester told me it has a leaky Accumulator.
Q1)Can I just confirm that the accumulator is situated at the low front right of the engine bay, by the front nearside wheel?
A local garage (non Citroen) has looked at it and tells me it's not the sphere it's the part that it's attached to.And they are quoting £160.00 for this part. Before repalcing hoses//piping.labour and VAT
Q2) Could someone just confirm the name/ID Part number of this-as I can't find it clearly listed in the catalogue, nor in the Haynes Manual. I just don't want to be ripped off.
I would do it all myself, but work does not give me any spare time to do it in. Q3) Anyone know of any good garages nr Eastbourne??
Thanks guys-just want to avoid being ripped off.
Regards
Blag
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

Your location is correct.
To help yourself, check around for leaks from pipes, clean everything off with a clean rag, and see where the highest point of LHM leakage is, this will then help you locate the problem.
The part your question is ( I believe ) the pressure regulator - this is the bit that you can hear clicking and buzzing every so often.
How often does yours click and buzz when the car is left to idle without any brake or suspension usage ?
Blagarse Yank
My Cars:

Post by Blagarse Yank »

Mbunting,
Thanks for the quick reply.
The only real clicking that occurs apart from start up is when stationary at traffic lights. When it does click it goes on form maybe 10 clicks. But it is not clicking a lot.
I did a visual inspection late last night in the street-I think the hoses are gone/pipe link is seeping. I checked the resovoir and it needed only a very small top up.
It obviously needs a bit of work, but I'm hoping it's just the sphere/hoses/pipes.
Just double checked the prices here. £96 for a pressure regulator! Be assured that it will be bought from here if it does need replacing.
Great site!
Blag
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

Hi Blag (?)
It is possible that if your regulator is clicking continuously that the diaphragm in the accumulator sphere has ruptured - they need changing about every 5 years and are approx £20. Also, if it has been running like this for long, the return hose from the pressure regulator to the reservoir may have split.
£90 for a s/h regulator? Did it have a car attached to it? [;)]
A good way to test the accumulator is, when car is running and stationary, to press brake repeatedly until regulator clicks, and count how many more times you can do this before it clicks again - should be 15 at least