I AM LOSING SLEEP

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

paranoid
My Cars:

I AM LOSING SLEEP

Post by paranoid »

[8D]IS THIS NORMAL SUSPENSION BEHAVIOR?????
PLEASE CAN SOMEONE REASURE ME THIS IS CORRECT AS I AM LOSING SLEEP (YES REALLY)
I BOUGHT A 97 1.9TD XANTIA, 65000 MILES 3 MONTHS AGO, I HAVE DONE A FULL SERVICE, THE FOUR CORNER SPHERES, AND A LHM FLUID CHANGE+ GLOWPLUGS ETC. THE PROBLEM IS AS FOLLOWS, I TOOK THE CAR BACK AFTER A WEEK TO HAVE A NEW REAR HEIGHT CORRECTOR WHICH SEEMS BE OK NOW, WHEN THE CAR IS LOADED AND GOING ALONG THE ROAD THE REAR RIDE HEIGHT SEEMS OK ie looks the same as any other xantia, WHEN I PARK ON THE DRIVE AND WE GET OUT (2 ADULTS 2 KIDS )THE REAR GOES UP WHEN UNLOADED (ENGINE OFF) AND STAYS LIKE THAT, I REALISE THIS IS PROBABLY DUE TO THE ANTISINK VALVE BUT IS IT NORMAL, MY DRIVE IS QUITE STEEP AND I WONDERED IF THAT MADE A DIFFERENCE ?? WHEN I HAVE LOOKED AT OTHER XANTIAS THE SAME AGE PARKED ON THE STREET THE BACK DOESNT SEEM SO HIGH. FLOOR TO WHEELARCH ABOUT 23 INCHES. [8D]
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

When you get out, the rear rises due to the LHM pressure remaining when the load is removed. This then allows some linkages to trigger the height corrector to loose some LHM.
I think everything is working ok, althought I can't be sure as I don't have anti-sink.
Try waiting with the engine on for a short while AFTER people have got out. Within a minute, the car should be back to it's normal level, which it will hold when the engine is off.
alexx
My Cars:

Post by alexx »

There was a discussion about that problem a week ago. If accumulator sphere is flat, anti-sink valves will close almost immediately after switching the engine off, disabling automatic height correction. So the car will behave like conventional one, but since spring rates are low, it will rise twice more after unloading. It will sink after switching the engine on.
Can you hear frequent ticking from the engine bay, especially after pressing the brake pedal? In that case, it's almost certain that you have flat accu sphere.
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

[:D]THANKS FOR THAT MB , ONE MORE QUESTION WHEN THE SUSPENSION IS PUMPING UP IS IT NORMAL FOR THE FRONT ACCUM TO CLICK CONTINUOUSLY?WHEN ITS THE CORRECT HEIGHT CLICKS EVERY EIGHT TO TEN SECONDS APART FROM THAT THE CARS GREAT, I TRIED CHANGING THE FRONT ACCUM SPHERE BUT COULD NOT MOVE IT (SNAP ON FILTER STRAP 15 INCH LEVER/RATCHET ITS NEVER BEEN BEATEN BEFORE IN FIFTEEN YEARS OF REMOVING LORRY FILTERS !!!!) ANY TIPS ANYBODY, BIT SCARED OF USING A CHISEL DUE TO WORK MATE GOING STRAIGHT THROUGH HIS RADIATOR.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

The antisink (SC/MAC) valve will close off the rear suspension as soon as the feed pressure from main system (via safety valve) is LOWER than the pressure existing in the rear suspension.
Simply try wait stop the engine untill the car is unladen and height has stabilised again.
It MAY be a pointer to a weak accumulator sphere if the main system pressure drops too fast after engine stop :
With engine idle, set the suspension control to lowest setting, wait for car to settle completely - then time the tick intervals from the hydraulic system. It should at best have ticking intervals up the 2 min's (or more) range. If the ticking interval under this test condition is less than approx 30sec's - the accumulator sphere is near or totally flat.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Mon dieu - touchez [8D][8D]
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

THANKS FOR YOU ALL YOUR HELP GENTS, CHANGED THE ACCUM SPHERE NO MORE CLICKING "EXCELLENT" TRIED FOR 3 DAYS TO GET SPHERE OFF WITH STRAP ETC BIG BARS ETC TWO LITTLE TAPS WITH <font color="green"></font id="green">SHARP<font color="black"></font id="black">CHISEL OFF IT CAME HARDLY DAMAGED THESPHERE BODY AT ALL !!!!! [:D]. [:D][:D]