Synergie brakes

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

PugLover

Synergie brakes

Post by PugLover »

I must confess I haven't given this car the love it deserves at all.
I *think* the front brakes need doing, there is no grinding at all, but they don't seem as good as they once were. The brake pad light is coming up when the pedal is depressed. I put this down to a dodgy connection at first as it wasn't always lit up. But now as soon as that pedal goes anywhere down its light up.
Does anyone know if they are discs at the front? It's a P reg so quite old! I never tackled brakes on my previous cars so a bit scared with having to do them!

Do you know if they have the pin in the caliper that needs to come out to do the pads? Should I replace the discs too as it's been a while and I fear they may need doing too!

My car is quite important, it's an 8 seater and I have children in the car at times so I have to do this as a matter of urgency now I've sussed it's not a temperamental connection..

Any helpful advice would be most appreciated.. Am I right in thinking there will be no need to drain the brake fluid to then bleed it if it's just the pads and discs? I think it's got shoes on the rears but not 100% sure! Will have a look at it all tonight...

If anyone is in Oxfordshire and can come to lend a hand that'd be great... I have a young baby and never have the time for my cars now :(
Citroen Synergie - 1.9 DT XUD9 TE lump (8 seater, daily driver)
Peugeot 406 ~ 2.0 Petrol estate (Sold in 2014, Missed every day.)
Northern_Mike

Re: Synergie brakes

Post by Northern_Mike »

Whereabouts in Oxfordshire are you?

The easiest way to tell if the pads and discs need doing is to jack it up and take a wheel off to have a look. Take a pic and post here if necessary. It'll be discs at the front for sure. Check the brake fluid level as well, that might also cause a warning light if low.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

They are definitely discs and pads at the front, they are not too difficult to do, they are drums and shoes at the back. I hate doing drum brakes personally, if you do attempt them take photos on your phone or digital camera before starting and as you go along so you can get the springs and clips back in the same place. As mike said also check the brake fluid level. In fact it may be a good idea to change the brake fluid if it has been in there for a while.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
PugLover

Post by PugLover »

Thanks guys! I'm near Bicester! What's the easiest way of draining the brake fluid to replace that? The photos idea is a brilliant one, little scared as Haynes didn't do a manual and usually I follow his advice! Bit surprised to see that to be fair! Discs are much easier to work on, I feel that! With the drums and shoes it can be awkward to get into! My last car someone had rounded off the bolts on the hub! Was a nightmare! Thank you
Citroen Synergie - 1.9 DT XUD9 TE lump (8 seater, daily driver)
Peugeot 406 ~ 2.0 Petrol estate (Sold in 2014, Missed every day.)
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

if the brake fluid is low and there are no leaks, this usually indicates the brake pads are worn down, as the pistons protrude the space behind is taken up with brake fluid,
so dont top up the fluid till you have checked/fitted new pads

my daughter has a P reg 1.9TD synergie as said above it is discs on the front drums on the rear,
i havent done the front pads on this one as yet, but on doing the rear brake they are Bendix on our's,

and the usual thing with PSA Bendix drum brakes the tiny stainless steel pawl that locks the adjuster ratchet had gone missing,

the only way you can purchase the adjuster kits is main dealer, and for the synergie they want about £125 quid for this kit,
but in a discussion with my local GSF they told me they had just started a new line in ready to fit complete rear drum brake kits, and the one to fit our Synergie was around £70 something squid, this kit was both cylinders, set of shoes ( brake that is ) and the full adjuster kit,
non of the factors i inquired with could get just the adjuster kit on its own,

if you send me the last 8 digits of your chassis/VIN No. i can get you the OE part No.s and pm. you your cars birth certificate
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years