2.0 HDI thrust bearing

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

wotwot
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 1982 GSA 1299
1984 bx 1600
zx 5 door x 2
xantia estate
dispatch
xara picasso
807 SE

2.0 HDI thrust bearing

Post by wotwot »

Is there a technique on getting a new thrust bearing to seat correctly on the friction plate.
Mine has come off 3 times now even though it allows me to drive around town and do a 25 trip before suddenly popping off again.
Dual mass flywheel type new clutch fitted. PLEASE HELP
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Re: 2.0 HDI thrust bearing

Post by RichardW »

3 times with the same clutch, or 3 different clutches? If the former, then could well be a problem with the clutch - what make? How are you engaging it?
Richard W
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

It sounds like the spring ring on the release bearing is damaged or alternatively the fingers on the diaphragm spring are worn (unlikely if it's a new clutch).
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
wotwot
(Donor 2021)
1984 bx 1600
zx 5 door x 2
xantia estate
dispatch
xara picasso
807 SE

Post by wotwot »

thanks for the reply guys,
brand new clutch, LUK I'm afraid had no choice as needed to get it done straight away.
my curiosity made me examine the parts before it was assembled as have not done a reverse clutch release before and everything looked fine.
I pulled the release fork away from the clutch firmly to engage the spring clip, and it was quite a positive click as it went home.
And I manually turned the engine over in case only one side of the spring clip had located.
It stayed put today and i'm hoping it stays that way because I wont be looking forward to doing another clutch change anytime soon.
Does anyone think that maybe the slave unit could cause an issue in some way, maybe too loose or needs bleeding.
flying clutchman
My Cars:

Post by flying clutchman »

If it's any consolation these rountunely give me headaches! The original design which had a sturdy fitting on the bearing never used to give problems, but the later style like yours seems to be problematic. I've never encountered one which will go for 25 miles and then fail, sounds like the clip is not fully engaging. Fingers crossed it's in for good this time!
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

dont you just fit/leave the thrust bearing attached to the pressure plate, then line up and engage the fork prongs into the bearing on bringing the box close enough, thats the way i always do the reverse/back to front clutches,

or Mr clutchman are these the ones you were inquiring about recently, if they are different to the well known back to front clutch i would like to see some picys, as i have not yet had the pleasure
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
flying clutchman
My Cars:

no these are not the type as fitted to the old tds where the bearing arrived already fitted to the cover. These are indeed the type I have recently complained about and are fitted with the bearing on the fork. Once the gearbox is bolted up the arm is levered against the cover and in theory the circlip clicks into place. Just recently I had a Relay van to do fitted with this clutch. After failing to get the bearing to engage (and dislodging the retaining ring) I dropped the box back out. I should add that I had only done up three bellhousing bolts to make sure I got the clutch connected (I didn't!) When I examined the circlip on the bearing I noticed the ends of the clip were starting to point outwards. I worked out that the clip was fractionally too long and so couldn't compress properly. I clipped about 2mm of the circlip and next time I put the box back in and levered the clutch arm back the bearing engaged easily with very little effort. This design really is the devil's work and I don't see the point of it at all
wotwot
(Donor 2021)
1984 bx 1600
zx 5 door x 2
xantia estate
dispatch
xara picasso
807 SE

Post by wotwot »

Touch wood its still attached after doing the 25 mile round trip all this week.
Its been like treading on glass all week, as if pushing the clutch pedal gently it would be ok LOL.
I do wonder if it has engaged properly or i'm in for the pedal going to the floor with the car wanting to drive through the boot of any vehicle that happens to be in front of me.
when I do the wishbones I think I may separate the box and have a look to see if all is well.
Just out of interest Mr Clutcman what make was the clutch fitted to the relay
Mr Clutchman what is the main problem you have with them, other than from what I have read that they can give up at any given moment without warning :twisted:
flying clutchman
My Cars:

Not much point taking it apart if it's all working well. The main problem I have with them is sometimes the clip will not engage easily and the bearing carrier is too flimsy and comes apart if you lever too hard. The original valeo design had a sturdy carrier with a plastic shield over the clip which enabled an smooth engagement. These seem to be unavailable for some versions. There are some forum members who dislike LUK clutches generally but I find them excellent generally, I just don't like their bearing design on the pull type clutch. Incidentlly, if the bearing is still engaged getting the box out is VERY difficult
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

wotwot wrote: when I do the wishbones I think I may separate the box and have a look to see if all is well.
:roll: :? #-o :-D :wink: your a braver man than i gunga din,

your not one of them there masochist's that likes pain :shock: 8-[ :eye: :eye:

also as Mr Clutchman says there is nout wrong with LUK clutch's, in fact service citroen actually list LUK as a clutch brand these days, so shirley that make them OE equipment
Regards, malcolm.

wotwot
(Donor 2021)
1984 bx 1600
zx 5 door x 2
xantia estate
dispatch
xara picasso
807 SE

Post by wotwot »

Masochist um maybe, the 8 cuts to the back of my right hand have all healed now :? .
Interesting about the luk clutch, had heard that they were a bit flakey on the dual mass set up.
Think I may just concentrate on the wishbones and cambelt, thats more than enough scrapes and cuts for any masochist.

Cant believe how light the clutch is compared to my old dispatch with cable clutch. And how much more refined the HDI engine is.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

wotwot wrote:
Cant believe how light the clutch is compared to my old dispatch with cable clutch. And how much more refined the HDI engine is.
if the dispatch all be it cable was working as it should it to should be quite light,

usually they become very heavy as the clutch gets near the end of its life, and sometimes if the cable is past its best
Regards, malcolm.

wotwot
(Donor 2021)
1984 bx 1600
zx 5 door x 2
xantia estate
dispatch
xara picasso
807 SE

Post by wotwot »

would like to say I agree on the dispactch cable,
had mine snap on me but was still stiff with a new cable, 2 weeks later put in a new clutch but still very stiif compared to the hydraulic clutch.
wotwot
(Donor 2021)
1984 bx 1600
zx 5 door x 2
xantia estate
dispatch
xara picasso
807 SE

Post by wotwot »

hopefully a final update, all is well thrust bearing holding in place although i do get a slight click occasionally from the pedal which makes my heart skip a beat,
I think its just the pedal linkage.
If i have to do another i may put a dab of oil on the ring clip to aid it popping into place.