C5 1.6hdi turbo vac problem. Where to start looking?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Re: C5 1.6hdi turbo vac problem. Where to start looking?

Post by Stickyfinger »

myglaren wrote:I've always filled mine to the brim, no room for another teaspoonful. Both C5s.
You have been lucky, both my C5's allowed some devil fuel to weep if I did...but remember these are Citroens...other that One thing, there is nothing stranger.

Stranger than Citroen ?
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
soops

Post by soops »

Just had a thought.

I have the new vac solenoid here in front of me, when I fit it, how will I know that the pipes that go to it are on correctly? I will be swapping them like for like but what if some duffer has been diddling before and got them on wrong?

There is the larger connector on the body that's marked 'ATM' and the two smaller ones on the end cap that are marked 'OUT' and 'VAC'.

I'm assuming the 'vac' one is the pipe that goes to the actuator under the turbo. I've checked that pipe and it holds pressure when I suck one end and have a finger over the other.

Just want to make sure that the pipes go on the right place.
soops

Which way around?

Post by soops »

Right so I have bought a new vacuum solenoid and went to fit it.

Managed to get it off (only one nut holding it on so someone has been there before). Got it so I could see it and there was only one pipe on it. The pipe from the turbo actuator was on the joint that is labelled 'vac'.

The one labelled 'out' there was nothing. After reaching down into the void and lifting thick wads of cables I found the other pipe, albeit with no vacuum piping on it.

I put the one from the turbo actuator back on the 'vac' and the other I fitted some vacuum pipe and put it on the 'out' side.

Put everything back together and went out and it does have more power and torque but after getting the missus to have a look at the actuator whilst I revved it she said that nothing was moving.

So although I do have some extra oomph are the pipes on the wrong way around?

RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Threads merged....

Not entirely clear from service. citroen, but it looks like the vac supply (which comes from a vac reservoir somewhere) goes to the RH port as you are looking at that pic, the Turbo is connected to the middle port, and the LH port is probably a vent.
Richard W
soops

Post by soops »

Thanks Richard, I couldn't find my thread so just made that new one.

Ta for the info, have just been out and swapped the pipes over and it has made a massive difference and most noticeable as soon as the engine is started the actuator rod is pulled down. Power is so much more immediate and feels so much smoother all round and so I'm guessing the economy figures will change as well.

So whoever had been diddling before and only put one retaining nut back, left one pipe dangling and the other on the wrong connector needs jamming up the ricker with a cactus.

Feel much more confident going out in it now which is good as it's holiday time next week :)

Thanks again everyone.
thebobster1980
New User
My Cars: Berlingo b9 1.6 hdi l2

Post by thebobster1980 »

Hi mate, was this the end of your problems with the Vac / solenoid ?

Same issue just wanted to make sure the pipe configuration was correct and never gave you any issues afterwards ?

Cheers