C5 2.0HDi problems

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

kettlesimon

C5 2.0HDi problems

Post by kettlesimon »

After a period of time with no problems, today 2 things have happened at once and I just wondered whether someone on here could throw any light on them.

1. When car is turned off, sounds like something at the rear of the car is still pumping/pulsing (drivers side). This lasts for 2-3 minutes and then stops, by which time a small deposit of fluid is left on the road/drive.

2. Steering is not as smooth as normal and makes a constant whirring noise, which gets worse as the steering wheel is turned. Also feel some resistance on the wheel as its turned.

After thinking about this a little, I went out to the car and its sitting flat on the floor (never does this normally). Also the fluid isn't like diesel, its more like oil (LHM ?).

I am wondering if I have sprung a leak in the suspension system. Does this also control the steering ?

Car now won't raise/lower itself - low fluid ?

How far is it safe to drive the car on its bottom setting, so that I can take it to a service station ?

Which is the correct colour LHM to use in case I need to top it up before driving anywhere. The stuff on my drive looks clear (ish)?

Car is a 2004 C5 Estate 2.0 HDi

Any ideas ?

Thanking you in anticipation

Simon Johnston
Last edited by kettlesimon on 01 Apr 2015, 16:43, edited 3 times in total.
2004 C5 Estate 2.0 HDi
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Re: C5 2.0HDi problems

Post by qprdude »

Simon, it would be much better for the experts if you put some detail of your car into your profile. C5's have been on the market for many many years and have evolved with each phase. If you pop the cars year of manufacture etc. into your profile, then it saves the guys with the knowledge from having to look up your previous posts to see what car you have.
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

What he said ^^, but I would also suggest to add the last 8 digits of the VIN (as I have in my signature) which will allow those with the right access to find out a lot more about your car.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

To start with, your car uses LDS (yellowish /clear), not LHM (green).
Is there a message shown on the dash-top display?
I wouldn't attempt to drive the car until you've investigated further unless it's essential for safety, and then only a very short distance, and very slowly. There's very little ground clearance with the suspension fully down, and a quite a lot of shock transmitted both to the car's components and to you!
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

The fluid is LDS and it's red, the whirring noise is likely to be the suspension pump running (does so as soon as the car is unlocked) although it's at the front RH not the rear, if you have a leak it won't lift the car.

Don't try to drive it if it's right down you'll drag the underside bits on the ground and do damage, you need a suitable transporter.

Find the leak and get it fixed before lashing out on new parts, you may be told it's the pump and get ripped off for £££££££££££ by some dodgy garages.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
kettlesimon

Post by kettlesimon »

Thanks for the input. The fluid is "clearish" (not green or red),so am I safe to assume its LDS ?

The leak is from the drivers side rear wheel.

I am aware of pump problems as my original pump seized and set the car on fire 2 years ago, luckily it was put out quickly.

Is the fluid the same for the steering & suspension ?

If I topped up the pump with LDS would it help raise the car enough to drive it to a service station?
2004 C5 Estate 2.0 HDi
kettlesimon

Post by kettlesimon »

Forgot to say, no warning message or lights on dash. The whirring I mentioned is the steering pump, I am sure. The Suspension pump isn't making the usual "clicking" noises I would have associated with it trying to raise the car
2004 C5 Estate 2.0 HDi
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Suspension pump on a C5 is electric and there is no clicking.
Early C5s (like mine) had a belt driven steering pump, newer ones have an electric steering pump.
The reservoir for both is shared.
The LDS is an orangey-red colour*, your fluid may be contaminated.

*There is a green version - Comma, IIRC.