Xantia, major LHM leak, possible causes?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

MortyDK
My Cars:

Xantia, major LHM leak, possible causes?

Post by MortyDK »

Dear all,

I know this problem description is vague and doesn't give that much to go on... I'd appreciate any help, as it is best possible to give it.

Xantia (X2), made year 2000, 2.0L 132 HP petrol engine.

Having just driven the car a few moments, I noticed "hissing" from the engine. I drove it back to my parking lot, and see that it is spilling LHM fluid rapidly, and a bit of the LHM is coming onto something hot (the exhaust I think), and evaporates as thin white smoke.

LHM spill was fast, but not explosive. I managed to drive 4 km in total before STOP indicator came on. While driving the car slowly back it left a clear wet stripe on the asphalt. After parking, a pool of LHM fluid buildt up underneath, but it took a couple of minutes to grow.

The LHM pool underneath the car is kind of underneath the engine; perhaps a bit further back and a bit to the left of the engine block. Sort of midway between the LHM reservoir with the level gauge and the engine block.

I grabbed a torch and looked for the wet spot. I can't find it. There is a cylindrical protrusion with a bolt on each side, coming out of the firewall between engine compartment and cabin. It is kind of right where the steering wheel axle might be. That protrusion seems to have significant green LHM residue on it. From what else I can see from above, the engine compartment seems dry.

Questions:
  • Will fast spills of LHM always be expensive repairs, or might it be something not that expensive?
  • Can anyone give me tips to self-diagnosis, in just a parking lot without special tools, that might help estimate the repair cost better?
I'm in damage control mode here. If it is going to be expensive to have the mechanic repair it (say more than 700 euro or so) then I might prefer not to undertake the repair. 8-[

Thank you,
chinkostu
My Cars: N Xantia 1.9TD SX
03 Fiesta 1.4 Zetec

Re: Xantia, major LHM leak, possible causes?

Post by chinkostu »

Get someone to start her up and press the brakes while looking at that cylinder. Its called the doseur valve and is prone to leaks
Stu

Cars
1995 Xantia 1.9TD SX in (faded) Red
2003 Fiesta 1.4 Zetec in GREEEEEEEN
2001 206 1.9 LX
2001 Saxo VTR
1999 Saxo 1.1 East coast
1999 Punto :oops:
1996 306 1.8 XN Auto :?
1996 Fiesta 1.3 #-o
Chetiya Dias
My Cars:

Post by Chetiya Dias »

It can be the from the power steering rack penion seals.
2000 Xantia 2. 2.0i 16v
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

MortyDK wrote:... The LHM pool underneath the car is kind of underneath the engine; perhaps a bit further back and a bit to the left of the engine block. Sort of midway between the LHM reservoir with the level gauge and the engine block. ...
According to the description and considering that it is a Danish LHD Xantia
my guess would also be the Steering rack pinion valve leak.

It does not cost a fortune. There is a repair kit for it.
You can have an idea about the price, for example from ebay search
with words: "Xantia Steering rack pinion valve repair kit"
You can also find topics with the same words in FCF.
Here is a topic with pics to start with: Xantia MKII - Leaking steering rack
C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

more likely the anti sink valve, the ewnd caps work there way loose and blow the O ring seal, you can buy a seal from Citroen, not actually listed for this component but one of the two size's listed for the hydraulic pump,
fit a new O ring of the correct formula rubber and screw the end cap back in nice and tight
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

Agreed re the anti-sink valve.
An ordinary O ring will do for a few days , and will enable you to drive the car whilst awaiting the correct part, but will eventually disintegrate.
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

Anti-sink valve O-ring failure guessed by citronut and dnsey is also possible. I add the pic. below:

but I would still keep on my guess (pinion valve seals) according to the descriptions in the first post and the location of the lower end of the steering column joins with the pinion valve. Pls. keep in mind that this car is a LHD Xantia. :wink:
MortyDK wrote:... There is a cylindrical protrusion with a bolt on each side, coming out of the firewall between engine compartment and cabin. It is kind of right where the steering wheel axle might be. That protrusion seems to have significant green LHM residue on it. ...
C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
MortyDK
My Cars:

Post by MortyDK »

Thank you all very, very much. This forum is amazing; and the quality of responses here is simply phenomenal. =D>

My hopes are up now, so I will have a go at getting the old lady fixed up again. Since I'm away on Easter vacation and such, it will be a couple of weeks before anything happens. When I know more, I will post back here.

Thanks,
Xantia 2000 2.0 16V 132 BHP petrol
chinkostu
My Cars: N Xantia 1.9TD SX
03 Fiesta 1.4 Zetec

Post by chinkostu »

Whoops, missed the under the engine part. My bad.

To be fair a lot of the time we can be throwing ideas at the wall unless we've actually seen the car. Mine leaked like a sieve and i thought it was a bust height corrector, but the pas return above it had a hole just big enough to leak all over the bottom of the car!
Stu

Cars
1995 Xantia 1.9TD SX in (faded) Red
2003 Fiesta 1.4 Zetec in GREEEEEEEN
2001 206 1.9 LX
2001 Saxo VTR
1999 Saxo 1.1 East coast
1999 Punto :oops:
1996 306 1.8 XN Auto :?
1996 Fiesta 1.3 #-o