C3 1.4 HDi 8V - how to remove head cover/inlet manifold

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

JamesQB
My Cars: Citroen Xantia 1.8 - I miss this car a lot.

C3 1.4 HDi 8V - how to remove head cover/inlet manifold

Post by JamesQB »

Hi,

Job is to remove injectors to replace copper washers as entire area is filled with diesel.

I'm struggling to remove the combined cylinder head cover/inlet manifold. I bought a h@ynes manual but as seems to be common with these blasted manuals, it doesn't match the reality.

I've removed the 8 head cover bolts and the 2 bolts at the rear of the inlet manifold section of this combined plastic unit. H@ynes states to then just pull up and remove the assembly.

Sadly this won't happen. The left-hand side (as viewed standing in front of engine bay) of the assembly won't come up whereas the other side is nice and free. Inspection, while doing the job tonight before the gales and heavy rain, seemed to indicate that the assembly has a large plastic cover type of thing attached to the left side which extends far downwards and covers the end of the HP pump (now found out its the top cambelt cover) and it is the bit that covers the end of the pump which won't budge.

Would I be correct in thinking that all the 7mm-hexagon-headed screws need to be removed from this cover, and that would then separate the cover from the cylinder head cover/inlet manifold assembly, allowing it to come out while leaving the cover in place?

The little hex heads are a bugger to get to, and one is really far down, so I'm hoping there's something I'm missing. Didn't think I'd get stuck with this part. It's getting the injectors out that I'm more concerned with.
Honda Civic 2.2 CDTi 2006
Peugeot 407 2.0 HDi 2007
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Re: C3 1.4 HDi 8V - how to remove head cover/inlet manifold

Post by RichardW »

service.citroen indicates there are 16 bolts holding the cover on... you might have some more to find :lol: No idea if they are under the cam belt cover or not, sadly.
Richard W
Lighty
My Cars:

Post by Lighty »

You do need to remove the cambelt cover to get the lid off
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
JamesQB
My Cars: Citroen Xantia 1.8 - I miss this car a lot.

Post by JamesQB »

Thank you both for that info, I removed the screws from the cambelt cover and the manifold came straight off. Found the injector causing the leak, it had a little mountain of carbon around its base. Took it out and entire stem and injector hole coated in carbon and coal-like chunks.

Unfortunately the copper washers I bought from eBay for this car, engine and make of injectors are 1.5mm thick yet originals are 2.5mm thick. Checked on that citroen service site after finding a working login on the web, and it shows they should be 2.5mm thick. Seller is confused as he reckons he sells them for this engine and no comebacks but is sending thicker ones. So can't finish job till they arrive...
Honda Civic 2.2 CDTi 2006
Peugeot 407 2.0 HDi 2007
Andy6742
New User
My Cars: 2007 C3 1.4 diesel 8V

Post by Andy6742 »

I know this is an old post from 2015... but it might just help. Me, I did the same as above but still couldn't get the cover to move. I was after changing the glow plugs before winter sets in. I removed 4 bolts from the cam cover and nudged the cover to the left so it was out of the way.