Hydraulic Pressure light stays on

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

David.Cox
My Cars:

Hydraulic Pressure light stays on

Post by David.Cox »

Car is BX diesel 17 dtr 1988 with 134k miles This morning the hydraulic pressure light came on. checked level, which visually seemed to be down, but the indicator seems to be stuck at top of glass, even with more lhm in. Breaks seemed ok and ride height about right, though ride was a bit harder. By the end of a further 30 miles ( carried on to work and then went home) the suspension level seemed lower, and ride even harder. Steering definitely on heavy side.
I changed the hydraulic pump belt recently, so it certainly needs tightening up. However, since I changed the belt it has been squeeling. This was worse than previous belt so I thought it was just a question of tightening.
However, after the pressure light came on, from that point the squeeling stopped completely. This puzzled me as I thought if it was simply the belt being loose, then it would continue to squeel.
I know I need to do the filters and hydraflush, but the clues about squeeling and then not, seem to offer a different clue. Is perhaps my pump on the way out. Any ideas would be appreciated.
ukmobileman
My Cars:

Post by ukmobileman »

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
Car is BX diesel 17 dtr 1988 with 134k miles This morning the hydraulic pressure light came on. checked level, which visually seemed to be down, but the indicator seems to be stuck at top of glass, even with more lhm in. Breaks seemed ok and ride height about right, though ride was a bit harder. By the end of a further 30 miles ( carried on to work and then went home) the suspension level seemed lower, and ride even harder. Steering definitely on heavy side.
I changed the hydraulic pump belt recently, so it certainly needs tightening up. However, since I changed the belt it has been squeeling. This was worse than previous belt so I thought it was just a question of tightening.
However, after the pressure light came on, from that point the squeeling stopped completely. This puzzled me as I thought if it was simply the belt being loose, then it would continue to squeel.
I know I need to do the filters and hydraflush, but the clues about squeeling and then not, seem to offer a different clue. Is perhaps my pump on the way out. Any ideas would be appreciated.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>
check pump is turning my old bx19 diesel semi seized up before totally seizing solid as i tryed to limp home (you could see pump pulley jolting round slowly even though belt was going full speed) hope this helps
David.Cox
My Cars:

Post by David.Cox »

Thanks, will have a look. I now remember that on a message board somewhere, possibly this one, that the squealing was not the belt bu the pump,.but cannot find the post in whatI have looked at so far.
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Assuming the pressure switch is not faulty trace the return pipe from the regulator to the fluid reservoir, if there is a good return flow it could mean the regulator is at fault, since with the light on there is demand for hydraulic pressure at which time the output from the pump should be diverted to the accumulator sphere by the regulator, if there is no return flow then the pump could be the culprit, odd though because they usualy get tired gradualy and don't normaly fail in a big way.
I personaly would'nt use it on the road until the the fault had been located, total brake failure is a nasty sensation, been there and was lucky to get away with it.
Good luck
Dave