Hyd. pump

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

bernie
My Cars:

Hyd. pump

Post by bernie »

I've been a complete a**.
I've just put the engine/gearbox back in my BX17TZD turbo and I managed to snap off the inlet port on the pump. (Don't say a word).
The case is made of plastic.
Has anyone been successful in glueing the two pieces together.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Bernie - Sure it's a plastic casing ?
- ok - my BX'es has allways been that old - I've never seen anything else but steel casings on the PUMP untill now ...
- you mean the PUMP - not the pressure regulator (PR) down there on front of engine block ?
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

Definately plastic Anders (wish it was steel) and it's the pump not the fdv or reg..
The body of the pump is steel but with a plastic body, inc. the inlet,fixed on with a compressed steel band.
The actual spigot hole continues about 6mm into the caseing so I have found a short piece of steel tube. The od of the tube is the id of the spigot.
So I will try and join the broken spigot back to the case with the steel tube as a splint inside. I hope it will not impede the flow as the tube is approx 2mm thick.
As it is on the low pressure side of the pump I'm hopeing that Araldite will stick it all together .
alexx
My Cars:

Post by alexx »

BX hydraulic pump has cylindrical body, didn't see any plastic (even on the photo of disassembled one). Inside, there are 5 axially mounted pistons. Maybe you have different type, like in Xantia (this one has radially mounted pistons, which is evident on the body of the pump, and some plastic parts)? Which modelyear is the car ?
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Bernie -
Referring to Alex - your pump could be a modified Xantia pump. Modified - because all Xantia pumps I've seen uses the multigroove belt. Either that or the drivewheel on your BX is modified to a multigroove.
- anyway - it's the pump and it's a plastic housing with a broken hose stud.
The repair should above all be mechanical stable as the pump is opposed to vibrations from the running engine - and the stud from a vibrating hose. Any glue or compound used should be given the best possibility to grip on the cleaned & degreased plastic surfaces.
In fact some sheet plate or simple bracket supporting the stud to the housing will do good.
With this first done - you can then prepare for any leakproofing. As it's the pump's suction side - it's no big problem - as any sealing will tend to be sucked into imperfections - sealing up.
It's VERY important that any compound/glue used is applicated to a clean degreased surface. Same goes for your hands during work !
I don't think it's of any concern the repaired stud will have a smaller inner diameter. That will simply increase a bit the flow rate into the pump. It's much more important that the reservoir filters are clean - and the suction hose is not kinked.
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

Alexx.
1992 BX TZD Turbo saloon
Anders.
It has just the v belt pulley.
If it is a xantia part, how would it differ to the BX part?
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Donno Bernie [:o)]
- as I said first off : yet to see a newish BX with other than the steelhoused pumps I've seen up till now.
My daughter's in-laws are driving a '94 Xantia - which I'd have a peep into a couple of times. This pump seems smaller than the usual green steelhoused pumps I'm used to. Also this Xantia pump has a black housing - guess it's plastic - but donno - as I never touched it. It certainly has the multigroove belt drive - opposite the earlier type V-belt.
Either the later series BX'es in some production runs had a newer pump type fitted - or spare pumps for BX'es are now simply delivered as the newer types. Either the case - your pump should work equally well.
alexx
My Cars:

Post by alexx »

Bernie
You can find a nice picture of 'ordinary' BX pump here, and check if yours is different
http://citroeny.cz/servis/bxser/rez_cerpadlem_LHM.gif
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

Thanks Alexx
The same as mine except Part 5 is plastic.
It has a part no on it 9612811380 dated october 1993, so it is obviously not the original
alexx
My Cars:

Post by alexx »

Aha. Obviously, there were some modifications during the production. On mine ('89, BX 16 TRS), it's metal.
DLM
My Cars:

Post by DLM »

At the risk of repeating myself, the French equivalent of Haynes (Revue Technique) seems to think that all power-assisted BXs made after a certain date have a Xantia-style 5 + 2 pump and no flow diverter. I've yet to see one, but then I'm not in the habit of sticking my head under the bonnet of French-sourced cars.
I know the early Xantias had some kind of plastic pump, as a mechanic I used to use said he replaced loads of broken ones until Citroen reverted to metal. However, he didn't explain to me if it was the body or the mechanism that was plastic.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Methinks a phone call to Pleiades could be a worthwhile investment.
Alan S [;)]
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

I've gone and fixed it.
A bit of steel tubeing and slow set aruldite.
It works fine, fingers crossed