Xantia heater matrix

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

davethewheel

Xantia heater matrix

Post by davethewheel »

i suspect my heater matrix is starting to leak (smell of anti freeze and inside of car is steaming up)i have got a haynes manuel and it looks like a nasty job , is it really that bad?, any tips, also has anyone got any idea how much this job would cost at a garage.
i am fairly handy at most jobs but if it didnt cost to much may put it in a garage to fix as i will be working outside
thanks in advance
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

dave -
use the search button here - and you'll instantly learn from others having done the same job [8D]
davethewheel

Post by davethewheel »

forgot to ask has anyone tried to bypass the heater matrix as a tempory measure?
alexx
My Cars:

Post by alexx »

It's really a whole day job. Some pictures here:
http://www.citroenbilten.com/forum/view ... p?tid=1514
Please report manufacturer of the heater (Valeo, Behr or something else), after replacement
Andrew Robey
My Cars:

Post by Andrew Robey »

Dave,
I recently did a Heater Matrix (ZX 1.9D)and, like you, was a little apprehensive because of all the scare stories...!
Yes, I did by-pass the matrix - just join up the two 25mm hose outlets poking through the bulkhead to the right of the steering column with a piece of suitable radiator hose (needs to be a 180 degree bend or it will kink - I found a bit at a local scrappy for £1!)but this is only a temporary fix in this weather!
To do the Matrix, get yourself a Haynes manual - from GSF as cheap as anywhere - £13 will save you a HELL of a lot of pain!
You will need Torx drivers and about a day to a day-and-a-half to complete. Nothing is too complex if you follow the Haynes to the letter. I would advise that you DO take out the steering column. Some people have done it without, but it's only four bolts and makes it a lot easier to get the facia back in place with it removed. You will need a Torque wrench to re-fit it. Apart from that, it's common sense - label up all electrical connectors as you take them off and put all bolts back in their threads to keep their positioning.
Email me on andrewrobey1@hotmail.com if you need any more help.
[;)]
davethewheel

Post by davethewheel »

[:)]
cheers andy i think i will by pass the matrix for now till i can get the time to sort it out thanks for the reply