AX 1.5D TUD Engine Probs

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

DarkendViper

AX 1.5D TUD Engine Probs

Post by DarkendViper »

Hi all,
I've just bought a 1996 AX 1.5D with the TUD5 engine. There seems to be a problem or two with it. When on the motorway it will get to 70 but won't go any faster unless going down a slight gradient.
No.1 and No.3 injectors are seeping diesel. No.1 bubbles on tickover so could put out quite a bit of diesel when on motorway? Should I have the injectors out and put new washers in?
It's been suggested to me that this "leak" could be causing some compression loss and hence reducing the speed at 70. It pulls up to 70 fine but won't go past it. If so would I be best getting a compression test before or after having the injectors out and new washers placed in?
A few people have said to me that the No.1 cylinder does leak on these engines, is this true and is it possible to fix it?
Thanks
Ste
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

Have you had a look at the air filter yet? Try replacing that before getting too involved (the leaks should of course be sorted out). Usually a new air filter, a tin of injector cleaner and an italian tune up will work wonders.
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

Air and fuel make a diesel go faster, so I would:
a) Fix the fuel leaking problems.
b) Since you have just bought it, I'd check and change the fuel and air filters.
c) I would also change the oil and filter, while probably not a direct cause, it's amazing how slow a car feels with old oil.
d) Check the accelerator cable for free movement when at idle ( there shouldn't be any ) - you can see this on the fuel pump, and it's very easy to adjust.
Regards
Mat.
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

Oh, and when are you planning to change the cam belt ( unless you have proof of a regular change ).
[:D]
DarkendViper

Post by DarkendViper »

Just letting you know that all is know well and good with this little tank.
Changed the oil and filters and that made a big difference. Used Castrol GTD Plus. Sounds a lot smoother. The diesel filter was really clogged and mucky.
I got some new washers and put them in for the injectors. Bought a new injector cos one of them was of no use. I also adjusted the accelerator cable as that had plenty of free play in it.
Thats the good news but while I was working on it the girlfriend decided that the exhaust looked mucky!!! She put her foot on the tailpipe and it fell off, just the tailpipe, so it's now got a little growl to it.
Been running it for the past week and i've been getting 68-74Mpg. Very impressed with it.
Thanks for all the help.
Ste