diesel smell +high fuel consumtion

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

charger

diesel smell +high fuel consumtion

Post by charger »

I HAVE A 94 XANTIA DIESEL RECENTLY IT HAS STARTED USEING A LOT OF FUEL AND SMELLS OF DIESEL.THERE IS SOME DIESEL ON THE ENGINE BUT NOT THAT MUCH, I HAVE LOOKED FOR A LEAK BUT CANNOT SEE ANY OBVIOUS SIGNS DOES ANYONE KNOW WHICH PIPES ETC ARE LIKELY TO BE THE CAUSE OF THIS.
ALSO THE DOOR LOCKS ARE WIERD THEY ARE REALLY HARD TO OPEN PUT THE KEY IN AND IT TURNS AND TURNS IF I JIGGLE IT ABOUT IT WILL OPEN EVENTUALLY MOST TIMES. I HAVE HAD TO CLIMB INTO THE BOOT ONCE OR TWICE AND REACH OVER TO OPEN THE DOOR.HAVE READ WITH INTREST THE BITS ABOUT RUNNING ON VEG OIL SURELY IT CANT BE THAT EASY PUT IN SAY 20 LITRES OF DIESEL THEN PUT IN 20 LITRES OF VEG OIL AND AWAY YOU GO IS IT REALLY THAT SIMPLE OR DO YOU HAVE TO MODIFY YOUR CAR
THANKS CHARGER
pete.fair

Post by pete.fair »

There is a pipe at the rear of the engine on the lefthand side, S shaped, to find it follow the bulb pump on the fuel supply. There is a topic about this over the last few days. When my fuel consumption went up this pipe was the cause. Good luck and hope this may be of help.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Charger -
Please cancel your caps lock when writing here - it looks like you're shouting [:I]
Using veggie oil is not just a technical issue - it's also a tax issue - as any PLOD may be eager to tell you [;)]
Technically the main problems with veggies arises just exactly at this time of year - as veggie oil tends to go like margarine when cold [:o)]
- have you tried to eat margarine thru a straw ?
- imagine how your diesel pump reacts [8)]
- as it has to suck the fuel from the tank before it can pressurerise it into the injectors.
The "weird" door lock is simply a service issue - you have to strip the door to access the door lock cylinder. Either the cylinder must be replaced or the lock linkage has a problem.
blueboy2001

Post by blueboy2001 »

If its leaking diesel then the most likely cause is the leakoff pipes. These are the small rubber pipes that run between the injectors, on gearbox end injector there is 1 tube and a rubber bung - check the bung isn't spilt or perished. Also there is a pipe which runs from the diesel pump to the first injector. All the pipe is the same thickness, and a length to replace the whole lot is about £2.50 from GSF. I'd suggest you replace all the pipes and also the bung, will cost £4 tops and you'll save that in lost diesel!
charger

Post by charger »

thanks for the advice you all know what i will be doing tommorrow.i probably sound a bit dense to you but cars are not my thing my first love will always be motor bikes,i love citroens though this is my third they are a bit wierd and quirky but i like that. one of these days i will win the lottery and buy an old ds and sit and ponder on the wierdness of french cars cheers charger
charger

Post by charger »

hi at the risk of sounding stupid can anyone tell me what the thing is that the hose from the fuel filter goes into because that is where the deisel leak seems to be coming from but i cant see where.
i changed this hose and cleaned up the banjo bolt and replaced the washers but the leak seems to be coming from the thing at the left of the banjo bolt also i could not find the bung that some people were saying i should check
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

one way from the filter will go to the injection pump, the other end to the tank, with things like primer bulbs and (not Xantia i think) fuel heaters and lengthy pipework.
BX have a fuel filter on the back of the engine above the steering rack and this or its connections can leak. ZX and I believe xantia used a different filter which incorparated the heater.
On my BX TD filter the inlet and outlets are nice banjo connections, and after a couple of inches of metal pipe rubber pipes are simply pushed on! - so a careful look at all connections and pipes is adviseable.
jeremy
charger

Post by charger »

lools like the leak is coming from the injector pump or somewhere near it then, i cant see any obvious leak but that is where the diesel is so it must be from there
charger

Post by charger »

i have checked all the pipes and they all seem to be ok still cant find the bung though
Kered

Post by Kered »

Reading the replies I'm not sure we are all talking of the same thing! So I'll explain it more thoroughly.
The pipes and bung previously mentioned are on the injectors. Injectors have steel pipes going to the centre of them. They are in the position that spark plugs take on a petrol engine. At each side of an injector is a small pipe - making 2 pipes for each injector. These convey surplus fuel back to the tank through flexible tubes. You will find small tubes looping from injector to injector howerver on the right hand pipe of the right hand injector you will find it is blanked off with a "bung". The other end goes back to the injector pump. There are no banjos as they are a push fit. The banjos are on the fuel feed to the injector pump from the fuel filter.
The other pipes mentioned by paete.fair go down the back of the engine. There are 2 and they are joined together. One brings fuel to the engine via the priming bulb, the other returns the surplus fuel from the injectors back to the tank. These are known to perish and leak.
So the question is - where is the diesel visible? Just around the injector pump or under the car?
Derek
charger

Post by charger »

there is deisel around the injector pump and next to the housing that the pipe from the fuel filter goes to,this pipe is attached to the housing via a banjo bolt and has a bleed nipple on top of it.there is also deisel at the front of the engine low down in the middle i presume that this is from the leak at the top and not a seperate leak .when i was trying to locate the leak i was checking every thing including the fuel filter housing i took it apart and put it back together and when i primed it the leak seemed to stop but when i stopped the engine and restarted it the leak reappeared.there does not seem to be a leak at the injectors.
charger

Post by charger »

just got in am covered in diesel and still cant find the leak[:(][:(][:(]
Robin
My Cars:

Post by Robin »

Hi Charger. I'm another biker with a 97 Cit[8D] This is beginning to sound like a split hose. I have a Xantia and if the underside engine cover is still in place the fuel from the injector leak off tubes can go everywhere.
The 4 injectors have the steel pipes going to them just in front and below the rocker cover. From each injector runs a rubber/plastic pipe around 6 mm dia which connects the injectors together running from nearside to offside. The nearside injector has the bung on the one side and the pipe on the other. Check them right through for splits.
The main filter, which is heated by the coolant hence the other pipes, on the front of the engine with the four bolts in it can leak but this is usually fairly apparent, it also has water drain off at the bottom which should have a pipe attached going down below and attached to fresh air. Is this pipe in place and is the drain valve screwed in?
Does it run OK, idles smoothly and starts without missing etc?
Other possiblities but unlikely could be a fractured or leaking steel pipe or union.
BigMac

Post by BigMac »

One easy thing to check first - I had similar leak and found it was the shut-off solenoid. The plastic part in the centre under the electrical contact had perished spilling fuel down the end of the pump, which is what I checked first. I found the leak by pulling up the rubber shroud which protects the elec. contact and bingo! Easy to fix with a new solenoid.
charger

Post by charger »