Xsara Picasso starting problems

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

barnsleygit
My Cars:

Xsara Picasso starting problems

Post by barnsleygit »

1.6 HDI picasso 2006 exclusive model

In any weather or temperature after an hour or so of sitting she is a pain to start, she cranks fine and fires straight away but after a second of running she stalls out, if I try to giver any throttle after starting she refuses to rev up and still stalls, however if I start her with full throttle she will slowly build up revs and run, but I have to keep the revs up or the throttle will stop responding and she then idols rough and after a couple of seconds stalls, she will start on the next turn of the key with throttle depressed and away she goes again, I have also noticed after this she black smokes for a while until the first time she is revd hard, say going up hill in third after changing up to say fourth the smoke stops but there is a noticeable drop in power, she will continue like this until the next time the engine is stopped and then will have her power back but will smoke again until you rev her hard and and then its back to less power but no smoke! After she has been run for a few miles she will start perfectly and idol perfectly with proper throttle response however she still smoke like before, but if I leave her for an hour or so its back to square one!

the AA think its air in the fuel system but I am not sure, I am thinking maybe EGR?
A friend had the stainless tubing from the EGR crack on his pug and he had the same smoking problems I have but not the starting problems.
HOW MUCH!