later pull-type clutch

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

flying clutchman
My Cars:

later pull-type clutch

Post by flying clutchman »

Can someone enlighten me as to what the design change in the fork is all about. Every pull-type I do lately has a fork which will not pivot back enough to get the bearing on easily. Add to that the fact that all the later ones have the LUK type fitting (feeble lugs on the bearing carrier) and I'm really considering telling the next potential customer to forget it! Am I missing some secret trick here?
citronut
My Cars:

Re: later pull-type clutch

Post by citronut »

do you remove the actuator arm from the fork spindle Mr clutchman,

or is it not the same as the usual pull clutch type we are used to
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I'm not quite sure of the question, are you fitting the bearing to the clutch then trying to engage the fork as you fit the box?
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
flying clutchman
My Cars:

no, no I'm not trying to fit the bearing to the clutch first, even I'm not quite that stupid! I've probably fitted around about 25 pull-type clutches (a lot more if you include the old TD type where thre bearing was pre-fixed). The vehicles include, Alfa156 2.5, peugeot 806, dispatch,relay etc. The last 3 or so I've done (all relays I think) have had a more positively fixed fork meaning you can't just flip the fork back and fish the bearing out. Getting the new one on th fork is an even bigger struggle. It would be easy if you could remove thecross-shaft but that appears to need some sort of special puller. Unfortunately my feeble brain cannot remember what was different about the earlier fitting! Hope I've made myself a bit clearer. I'm now going back to finish off this Relay. Finish me off probably!
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

what sort of year is/are these vehicles Mr clutchman,

or even last 8 of the VIN No. of the one you are struggling with so i can look at exactly what you are dealing with

i just looked through service citroen at MK3 Relays and all except versions with a hydraulic clutch, they have just a pressed metal fork pivoting on a ball/cup
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

flying clutchman wrote:no, no I'm not trying to fit the bearing to the clutch first, even I'm not quite that stupid! I've probably fitted around about 25 pull-type clutches (a lot more if you include the old TD type where thre bearing was pre-fixed). The vehicles include, Alfa156 2.5, peugeot 806, dispatch,relay etc. The last 3 or so I've done (all relays I think) have had a more positively fixed fork meaning you can't just flip the fork back and fish the bearing out. Getting the new one on th fork is an even bigger struggle. It would be easy if you could remove thecross-shaft but that appears to need some sort of special puller. Unfortunately my feeble brain cannot remember what was different about the earlier fitting! Hope I've made myself a bit clearer. I'm now going back to finish off this Relay. Finish me off probably!
I only asked because that's exactly what I found a fitter at a local garage trying to do recently.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
flying clutchman
My Cars:

The one I've just finished was an 06. Perhaps all the relays are like this and I'm confusing them with other vehicles. It seems to be the ones with the slave cylinder screwed to a bracket which fits on top of the box on three studs. The vehicles with the push and twist type slaves are no problem.