Xantia 1.9 TD fuel leak behind engine

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

nigel c

Xantia 1.9 TD fuel leak behind engine

Post by nigel c »

I have a severe derv leak behind the engine on a 1995 Xantia 1.9 TD. After searching the Haynes - no mention [:(] and 3 hours on my back under the car I hav finally removed the fuel feed pipes behind the engine and found a large split in the "S" bend on the small pipe.
I'm prposing to replace the "S" bend with a straight peice and this has lead to the following questions:-
1) is this the correct "cheap Fix" & will it last ?
2) what is the "s" bend for anyway - there isn't one on the large pipe ?
3) Is the small pipe the flow or rturn and if I use an internal joining piece that will slightly restrict the flow, will this affect performance ?
4)how do you undo those blasted clips that are Citroen fit ?
I look forward to your responces
davey
My Cars:

Post by davey »

Had what maybe the same problem on a xantia i had some years ago. I had a split on the U shape return fuel line (back corner of engine bay, cam belt side). I believe it is that shape to give the line some flexability and movement with the engine running.
I cut out the bad section and got hold of a piece of fairly rigid polyproplyene oil resistant pipe, shaped it as required with a heat gun and fitted it with stainless jubilee clips.
The thing here is to cut away enough pipe to get good access to fit the new clips.