Xantia Estate Blind Failure!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

RichG
My Cars:

Xantia Estate Blind Failure!

Post by RichG »

After a nice day out feeding the Red Squirels at Formby, Lancs I had put the coats in the back of our Xantia Estate and found that the rear load area blind would not locate properly. On closer inspection there is a rubber covered piece of oval section plastic on each side of the free end of the blind that locates in fixings in the boot. However the left hand side one has broken off. I have the offending piece but am considering whether glue alone will be strong enough or whether I should pin it as well. I have tried to remove the rest of the plastic locating piece that it attaches to from the blind but, after removing the 2 obvious screws, it will not move.
Could someone with access to the 'citroen-pr.net' site please give me a link to the picture of the rear blind on a 1998 (Sept 1997 Build)Xantia Estate as I might have to buy a new one (Do Citroen dealers accept Book Tokens?).
Thanks
Richard
blueboy2001

Post by blueboy2001 »

http://www.citroen-pr.net/catalogues/il ... 823300.gif
From your description it sounds like you need number 4 which is both A and B in the diagram.
If so, part number is 8794GZ and they are £13.66+VAT.
stewart_c
My Cars:

Post by stewart_c »

I had the problem a while back and I cured it as follows:-
1)find a self tapping screw that is about 1/2 the width of the bar
2)using a suitable size of drill make a hole in the snaped off bit but leave the end blind.
3)cut the head off of the screw & using pliers(& araldite if reqd)screw the screw into the blind hole.
4)gauge how much you have left on the screw & drill a bit further in the other bit so that you can orintate the bar if needed.
5)screw the 2 bits together & for good measure i put heat shrink over it as well and it is still working.
beats searching for a new one[:D]
davek-uk
My Cars:

Post by davek-uk »

I had mine snap a couple of weeks ago thanks to one of our little dogs jumping up and down on the edge when we open the boot!
Mine is also screwed and glued as Stewart explains. Once the two screws are removed the fitting slides off (but it is tight to start with) - I helped mine by putting a flat bladed screw driver in the joint and turning it.
To help matters the 'pin' already has a hole down its centre. I drilled it a bit so that I could fit in a bolt (no self tappers left), covered the bolt with super-glue and screwed it in.
I did the same with the other side even though it hadn't broken and they are still holding.
RichG
My Cars:

Post by RichG »

Thanks for all the advice. I have telephoned our local (Stockport) Citroen dealer and there are no spares in Manchester. The nearest he could locate was Birmingham or London!
I have taken Stewart's route and drilled the outer piece, as Dave says the inner piece already has a hole. I have fitted a 3.5mm Screwfix 'Goldscrew' and Araldited the pieces together. The Parcel shelf is now in the hall for a day waiting for the glue to dry.
I may order a new pair of locating pins when I am back to work in the new year, but then again I may leave it until the other one snaps.
Richard