2009 C5 1.6 HDI - "Risk of particle filter clogging"

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

spako

2009 C5 1.6 HDI - "Risk of particle filter clogging"

Post by spako »

I got "Risk of particle filter clogging" warning message on the dashboard yesterday.

As I understand there is a chance that the DPF/FAP filter is blocked and needs either replacing or regenerating.

This morning I tried going in 3rd gear at 3500 RPM whilst on my way to work (about 10-15 mins, should I do a longer run? higher revs?) but it didn't help - the SERVICE light is still on.

What do you suggest guys?

- Remove and clean the DPF filter
- Replace it with a new one (I found a new replacement DPF on ebay for £128.95, item no 190798359289 - is it the correct filter for my car? How difficult is it to replace it? Would it solve the problem?)
- Remap ECU and remove DPF completely (£375 at Sheffield company I found on the Internet)
- Any other option?

PS. The EOLYS fluid was filled up last year at the Citroen dealer after I got the warning on the dash, the car has done 102k miles.

BTW, do you know anyone with Lexia who is located near me (Barnsley/Sheffield area) and would help with diagnosing this issue?

Many thanks in advance.
2011 Renault Megane Sport Tourer 1.5 dCi 110 Expression+ Silver
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Re: 2009 C5 1.6 HDI - "Risk of particle filter clogging"

Post by RichardW »

You really need to get it on a Lexia to see what is going on. It might not be the DPF at all, it could be the pressure sensor has gone belly up. Lexia locations: http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... 19&t=29178" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It probably needs a longer run that that - work it hard over some hills. What is your normal driving routine? Wouldn't expect to see this warning unless you were doing a lot of short runs - although at 100k, it may be that the DPF is clogged with ash.

Replacing is not too bad - I think on a C5 there is enough room to do it without having to take the radiator out. The e-bay link looks like the right one, but I wouldn't buy anything until you've had the codes read - and, more importantly, interpreted!!
Richard W
spako

Post by spako »

My normal driving routine is 15 miles run run to work Monday - Friday (out of which 8 miles is on motorway albeit sometimes there is no difference to city run due to queues ;) and back (15 miles too) and some occasional runs at the weekend, mainly within town so very short trips. Longer trips are very sporadic, once a month within 100 miles radius.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Which ought to be plenty to keep the DPF regenning normally, so there is something else going on. Lexia required....!
Richard W
spako

Post by spako »

Would this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LEXIA-3-Diagn ... fresh=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

do the trick?
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

That looks like it will do. You will also need a computer (most people use laptops, for their mobility) running either a 32bit O/S, or a 64bit O/S with a good Vitrual Machine configuration with clean access to the USB sub systems.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
spako

Post by spako »

Tonight after work I've done about 30 mins run on motorway at 4000 RPM (over 60 mph in 3rd gear) but it didn't make any difference to the SERVICE light/warning on the dashboard.

I've used a basic OBD reader to read the error code - P1462 "Manufacturer control", not sure if it sheds any more light on the problem?

Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

I believe that's the EGR valve that's causing your issue, not the particle filter. Could be a duff electrovalve operating it, or it's gunged up.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Possibly related to the EGR valve. It's conceivable that if the EGR valve is stuck, the ECU may think that there is a chance of the filter not re-genning properly (EGR valve position is used to help get the exhaust temp up). Need the proper info from Lexia, which will allow you to see the various factors around the DPF to gauge what's going on.
Richard W
spako

Post by spako »

I've purchased Lexia from the earlier ebay link, it should be here in the next few days. I hope the car won't go tits up completely until then...
spako

Post by spako »

So the Lexia interface has now been dispatched and should be with me shortly.

Do you guys have a step by step guide on DiagBox/Lexia how I can diagnose this fault? Although I'm a quick learner, I've never used it before...
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

It's reasonably straightforward to get going... get the software installed and working (OK, that might not be as easy as it sounds, but persevere!).

Start Diagbox, select Citroen, then C5, then the correct version. Plug in the connector to the laptop and the car (you may need to do this before it will let you select the car), and it may then ask you Diagbox or Lexia - select Diagox. It should then connect to the car, and give you the VIN back. I find it's best to do it with the engine running, as that avoids eco mode which stops comms with various ECUs. When presented with a list of options, select fault reading (or something, can't remember exactly); it should then start a global scan of all the ECUs. During this time various lights may flash, and the display may go blank and reset, and various warnings may come up (like Brake Faulty) for instance - don't panic all normal! It takes a few minutes to get through everything, it will then refresh the list and give you a graphical display of the ECUS, with a column at the left showing number of faults recorded. You can now double click on an ECU with faults (injection in your case), select read faults, and it will give you a list. If you double click on a fault in the list when it appears, then it will give you more info about the fault. This will be the starting point to see what it's upset about. In your case, I would also go into the injection ECU, and then click on parameter reading, and have a look at the pressure reading across the DPF. It should be virtually nil at idle, rising to not more than 30 or 40 mbar at 3k rpm.
Richard W
spako

Post by spako »

Many thanks Richard, that should get me started.

I'll update the post once I get the interface.
spako

Post by spako »

I finally got the interface and did some fault diagnostics (finished after 3am so please be patient with me today ;).

Now I need someone to interpret these for me and suggest the next course of action.

Not sure if I'm reading it correctly but it seems that DPF is OK at only 26% soot load and 0% inlet/outlet pressure difference.

It looks like EGR valve could be the one to blame:

"P1462 - Permanent fault - Electric EGR valve position copy signal Valve movement drift or programming not done"

Should I try to clean it? Replace it? Program it?

Where is it located on 1.6 HDI engine?

Any info greatly appreciated.

citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

the EGR valve on the 1.6HDI is on the rear face of the head and at the gear box end, its held in place with two quite long 8mm ( spanner size ) bolts,
mind you do not drop the steel gasket that is between the head and valve,
i dismantled and cleaned one of these on a 307,
on removing the servo from the valve the yoke on the servo will rotate slightly, probaly abouit an 1/8th of a turn, so on refitting it you need to locate the yoke forks onto the valve shaft, then rotate the servo body to align the mounting points/fixing screw holes
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years