Wipers have stopped working

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Re: Wipers have stopped working

Post by RichardW »

As Addo says, easy enough to change AFAIK (I have to do the one on our C4 Picasso which is the same / very similar). Early cars used a more expensive board - I'm yet to be convinced that the later (much cheaper :roll: ) board is compatible. If you post up the last 8 digits of the VIN I can check the correct part number and price. It could of course be a fault with the wiper motor, so changing the board would be a bit of a guess - it is however cheaper and easier than a wiper motor (there are 2, and they are £250 EACH!). Ideally, you would find someone with a similar car that you could swap the board over to check.... It could still be a battery fault, and if the batt is 3 or 4 years old, I might be inclined to start there.
Richard W
vborovic
Locked user account
My Cars: A used Citroen

Post by vborovic »

What I'd like to do with DiagBox (Lexia) on the car is to test the wiper motors ... there is a wiper test available, and you'll see how and whether they respond ... maybe there is an issue with the wiper stalk, or some other line of communication, so at least you'll know you have fully working wiper motors, and go troubleshoot some other areas ... as for the fusebox under the bonnet, I can't see how it could cause issues, unless it has been tampered with or damaged in any way(which should be visible)
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

It's more than just a fuse box - it's a network hub. Seems to be some failure of the internal networking parts which causes some signals to go astray. Ours is suffering loss of engine speed info to the ESP / ABS / handbrake ECU, and occasional loss of EGR info.
Richard W
vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

I'll see what the wiring diagrams say about it, and how it can affect the wipers ... it is indeed a hub for some other things, but I don't think (currently) the wipers could be blocked by it (just the wipers, and the other functions still work)
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

I was tempted to say, if the "diagnostic expert" was correct, and you need a new BSI unit, I'd show my a*se in the middle of Woking, but that might be tempting fate.
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

I will bring my camera, wide angle lens or Macro ?
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I remember reading that both wiper motors are supposed to be renewed at the same time; can't recall whether it was Wheeler or one of the Oz crowd but the advice came with reasonable provenance.
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

Stickyfinger wrote:I will bring my camera, wide angle lens or Macro ?
Wide angle for the back, macro for the front. :shock: :rofl2:
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
Tucker9037
My Cars:

Post by Tucker9037 »

Still nothing guys. Tried new battery, tested all fuses and they are all getting power to them, checked wiring, still no further forward. I can buy a under bonnet fusebox replacement for £50 but I'm not so sure this can be the issue. Does anyone here from Northern Ireland have a lexia I could try and reprogramme the bsi on?
Tucker9037
My Cars:

Post by Tucker9037 »

Also I found this which may be of use to others.

http://service.citroen.com/dtt/IFD/AC/d ... iag169.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tucker9037
My Cars:

Post by Tucker9037 »

Ok quick update. I have had a friend take a look today and he reckons it could be the motor itself. Would the master motor ( driver side) stop the passenger side moving also if the master motor was the one at fault? I've went and got a brand new motor off eBay as I got it at a bargain price of £130.
vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

I didn't have a go through the wiring diagrams, but logically it would make sense to turn off both motors to prevent mechanical damage (also, no sense of windshield wiping with just one wiper, right?) in case one gives out ... especially if the secondary one would be out (overlapping one under the other) ...
Tucker9037
My Cars:

Post by Tucker9037 »

Thanks for the replys. do believe the master wiper is on the driver side. It's the master and passenger side is the slave. I am hoping this will be it cured when I get it changed. I can't complain at the price either as its a brand new valeo motor for £130