Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Estate Banging noise from Drivers Rear

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jabba2005

Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Estate Banging noise from Drivers Rear

Post by jabba2005 »

Hi Guys and Gals,

Couldn't find a part in the forum that best describes my problem, if there is please poke me in the eye and call me thick lol

What my issue is:

When going over speed bumps or over a Humped bridge and even driving on some quite uneven ground I get a loud bang or 2 from the drivers rear wheel area, it sort of sounds like someone hitting 2 hammers together (the metal parts.)

The garage I use has told me that it could be the drive shaft and due to it being 2002 with 160k on the clock it is not economically viable.

But im wondering if it is something less dramatic than the drive shaft as when driving normaly even smooth driving the car is fine no loud bangs etc... the suspension seems to be very comfy as in not back rattling hard.

So if anyone can shine a light on this issue or if you need more information then please let me know and I will respond as soon as possible.

Andy
Northern_Mike

Re: Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Estate Banging noise from Drivers Rea

Post by Northern_Mike »

jabba2005 wrote:Hi Guys and Gals,

Couldn't find a part in the forum that best describes my problem, if there is please poke me in the eye and call me thick lol

What my issue is:

When going over speed bumps or over a Humped bridge and even driving on some quite uneven ground I get a loud bang or 2 from the drivers rear wheel area, it sort of sounds like someone hitting 2 hammers together (the metal parts.)

The garage I use has told me that it could be the drive shaft and due to it being 2002 with 160k on the clock it is not economically viable.
Use a different garage. Your car is front - wheel drive and has no driveshafts at the rear ;-) Even if it did, they can be had for £50 each and take less than an hour to fit.

Have a search for "C5 rear suspension arm bearings". I expect that is your problem - £38 of parts and perhaps 3 hours of labour (per side) to replace them.

Vorsprung berk Technik
jabba2005

Post by jabba2005 »

I was looking at a service manual I found and I was like what drive shafts lol but just wanted to make sure, ill have a phone around the garages I need them done very cheap indeed :( To be fair the car only cost me money when I misjudged a height and scraped the suspension pipes and that set me back nearly £500 as they had to lower the fuel tank :(

If anyone else has other suggestions of what it could be then please feel free to say as I want as much info and ammunition for garages lol
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

I'd second what mike said, very little at the rear to bang. I'd give the exhaust a good shake too in case its come loose and, if its still underslung, make sure the spare wheel tray isn't trying to escape.
wurlycorner
My Cars: Two C5's...
Lots of CXs...
A couple of Xantia...
A C2...
Lots of Prelude's...
And a Sunny!

Post by wurlycorner »

Spare wheels in C5 estates are back where they should be - under the boot floor in a proper well in the floor pan, none of this crappy cheap spare wheel tray like on Xantia's :evil:
--
Iain

1x '85 CX GTi Turbo s1 (metallic blue)
2x '85 CX GTi Turbo s2 t1 (metallic silver & grey)
'88 CX GTi Turbo s2 T2 (metallic light blue)
CX DTR T2 Safari (silver)
2x '96 Xantia Activa (Black & metallic green)
'01 C5 2.0 HDi LX Estate (Blue)
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

wurlycorner wrote:Spare wheels in C5 estates are back where they should be - under the boot floor in a proper well in the floor pan, none of this crappy cheap spare wheel tray like on Xantia's :evil:
They are indeed, however they will still bang and rattle if they're not secured down and you hit undulating roads fast enough... don't ask me how I know this :-)

Vorsprung berk Technik
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I'm afraid the most likely cause is the radius arm bearings, I had to change them in mine. They are not all that expensive to buy but not all that easy to fit. The drive shafts at at the front so wouldn't give you a noise at the rear.

Peter
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

jabba2005 wrote:
it sort of sounds like someone hitting 2 hammers together (the metal parts.)
i would describe this sound as a crack rather than a bang,so i agree with Mike on the rear arm bearings
jabba2005 wrote: The garage I use has told me that it could be the drive shaft and due to it being 2002 with 160k on the clock it is not economically viable.

Andy
is your car a 4X4 C5 ???????
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
jabba2005

Post by jabba2005 »

most definitely not a 4 x 4 lol half the time I wish it was.

ok so the Rear Arm suspension bearings would you guys recommend 1 or both at same time ? as it seems to only be on one side at moment or at least more prominent.
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

I would advise that if one has gone, the other likely isn't fat behind so to get them both done.

However, as always, cost is a consideration so one at a time might suit more..

Vorsprung berk Technik
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

jabba2005 wrote:When going over speed bumps or over a Humped bridge and even driving on some quite uneven ground I get a loud bang or 2 from the drivers rear wheel area, it sort of sounds like someone hitting 2 hammers together (the metal parts.)
As many have already confirmed above this is 99% caused by the rear arm bearings that needs to be changed.

I had this last summer on our return trip. We were in Warsaw only about 500 m to the hotel according to the navigator and I heard the sound for the first time which came clearly from rear right side. Slow speed and slightly bumpy road made it very audible :lol:

It was exactly how you described :wink: : " I get a loud bang or 2 from the drivers rear wheel area, it sort of sounds like someone hitting 2 hammers together (the metal parts.)"

No worries, I was able to drive home and after about 2000 km I had it replaced 8-)
Only the right side was done, not the left side which had no symptoms.
C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
tomfrog
My Cars: owned-203 403 404 505 504 406 peugeots citroenc5x7 +3

Post by tomfrog »

hello from Tomfrog Australia.I Wish to buy a pair of rear wishbones [radial arms?trailing arms?]For my c5x7.Could any one tell me where to purchase ? A GSF name comes to mind.Payment by bankcard.Thanks see ya Tomfrog :roll:
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

why do you require the complete arms, as most of the time you can refurbish them

i would think if it were the complete rear arm/trailing arm you are interested in, it will be main dealer only,

if you post the last 8 digits of your chassis/VIN No. i will get you the OE part No.'s
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I would agree, I have never had arms worn past the point of refurbishment, even if they are worn, providing there is enough metal left to hold the bearings in place, once its all clamped together they are not going anywhere.

Peter
tomfrog
My Cars: owned-203 403 404 505 504 406 peugeots citroenc5x7 +3

Post by tomfrog »

Citronut G)day Citroen Sydney will only sell whole arms complete for C5x7 $460 each.Bit rich eh?I am 76 years young and this my first Cit after 50 years of peugeot Enough bulls@@ for now Vin VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]. Purchase outlet too if possible. email adress is gpthomas at hotmail dot com if you need it . Thanks Tomfrog.{GEOFF}