Sports suspension locked on

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

xmnutter
My Cars:

Sports suspension locked on

Post by xmnutter »

Hi
My Citroen XM, a 93 K registered 24 valve, has a persisent problem with the suspension locking into sports, with an associated hard ride [:(!].
Symptoms are:
1. Suspension in comfort from start up, will remain so if driven very gently.
2. Once engaged will not unlock into comfort mode.
3. Always reverts to comfort on turning off engine/ignition for 5 minutes plus.
Additionally when in sports car seems to pitch and bounce to an extent on my local forest roads which seems out of keeping for a Cit, is this normal?
Steps taken.
1. Have cleaned and greased all engine bay earting points, which are later ring style.
2. Previous Citroen main agent earthed these points directly back to battery.
Where do I start with this problem? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks
Rich
JohnT
My Cars:

Post by JohnT »

Hi
May I suggest you look at the superb info on this system by going in to WWW.tramontana.co.hu/citroen/
Hope that helps
JohnT
monkeyman

Post by monkeyman »

[:)]
Hello!
Your problem rings a bell with me! It may be the front electrovalve at fault on the suspension. There is one located at the front and back of the vehicle. This electovalve controls an additonal sphere which gives the sport ride. When the extra sphere is in use the suspension is nice comfy ride. When the sphere is not in use the suspension gets stiff as the LHM fluid has less area to flow as it is not going into the extra sphere.
From memory a way of checking it is this:-
Start vehicle /suspension should be nice and soft/ turn off engine and come to the front of the vehicle/ bounce vehicle by hand around bonnet area-should still be soft/ after about 30 seconds approx u may hear a click but the suspension will go hard. This means the electrovalve has shut off....All working ok!
So if your suspension is going hard other than in sport mode it could mean this electrvalve!
Hope this makes sense![:)]