C3 HDi 2002 fault codes help

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

JamesQB
My Cars: Citroen Xantia 1.8 - I miss this car a lot.

C3 HDi 2002 fault codes help

Post by JamesQB »

Hi, I've been offered a C3 1.4 8V HDi 2002 by someone and so I connected my Lexia to it.

After clearing fault codes and running the engine, certain ones would not erase, some came back. I don't know what they mean though...

BSI:
Downgraded arming of the bodywork network.
Googling has only revealed that the 'bodywork network' might refer to the 'low speed CAN'. What does it mean when it states downgrading arming though? I can find nothing through Google, only one instance of this phrase and no clues from that.

AIRBAG ECU:
Permanent fault: passenger's level 1 airbag igniter open circuit (P1C03).
Which airbag is this referring to, the dash one, side impact one? Funnily enough, this identical fault has just occurred on my Picasso just as I was planning on getting the MOT renewed well before it's due. I've used switch cleaner on the connectors behind the glovebox but no difference. Next I will remove the lower centre console and do the same to the plugs going into the airbag ECU.

INJECTION:
Permanent fault: cooling function incorporated into ecu coherence (P0483).
Absolutely no idea what this one means either.

Can anyone please shed some light on these fault codes? I don't want to buy the car if any of these faults are expensive or troublesome.

Thanks
Honda Civic 2.2 CDTi 2006
Peugeot 407 2.0 HDi 2007
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Re: C3 HDi 2002 fault codes help

Post by daviemck2006 »

I don't know anything about these codes but check the injector seals are not leaking. Look under the air box and if it is covered with black crud then they need doing and budget about 250 to get a garage to fix it. Image
This is what was lurking under the air box of my fiesta 1.4 tdci, the same engine.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Did the downgraded arming fault specify if it was body VAN 1 or body VAN 2 ?
It basically means something is shutting the network down early, the most common cause of this I have found is incorrectly fitted electrical accessories (mainly radios). If it doesn't have anything extra fitted It could also be a Com2000 or airbag ecu fault (these are both on body VAN 1 along with the under bonnet fuse box). If you lock the car with the remote then wait 10 minutes does the remote still work ? Or will it not work again until you have opened the door manually. Does the car have any actual operating faults or were you just putting lexia on it for a nosey ?
JamesQB

Post by JamesQB »

Hi Davie, thanks for the heads-up, I'll certainly check under the airbox for that.

Hi Wheeler, I wrote down the fault codes and that's all I wrote for the downgrading. If memory serves, there was no other information, no fault code number and I couldn't opt to see more information on the fault as I was able to with other faults. It does have an aftermarket radio fitted which is flagging a lack of comms with radio fault.

It's my ex-father-in-law offering me the car and as such, there's no rush for me to buy, only that I need to reduce my work commuting fuel bill asap. He says it runs well, but I wanted to connect the Lexia to avoid any nasty surprises as I have a history of buying troublesome cars (like the 2002 petrol Picasso I have now which I've had to spend hundreds on, and the VW Passat TDi that came before that, which has suffered head gasket failure twice now and is off road until I have time to fix it and sell it).

Now it's very interesting you mentioned the door locks, because the ex-FIL said it only locks and unlocks with the fob sometimes. I tried it and it's doing exactly what you describe. After having to unlock it with the key (which only unlocked the driver's door) and playing with the Lexia, I was surprised to find the fob then locked and unlocked the doors. A short while later it wasn't responding to the fob again...

Many years ago I owned a 2002 C3 1.4 16V HDi, the Delphi-equipped one, which went on to suffer a seized turbo and injector excessive return leakage (I think the many posts are still on this forum) but before it played up, it was a cracking, if very basic, little car with a lot of poke for a 90HP. I was relieved to find this C3 I've been offered is a different engine using a Bosch injection system, but a little concerned that it's an 8V engine using a wastegate turbo instead of variable vane with only 70HP. I wonder if you or anyone else has driven a C3 with the same engine and can comment on whether it's alright or not? Will it be too slow to overtake safely on windy A-roads like the ones I have to navigate every day? I live in a rural area and as such get stuck behind lorries and buses doing 40mph or less on these A-roads and overtaking is necessary sometimes if I'm to get to work on time.
Peugeot 407 2.0 HDi 2007
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

I'd be fairly confident that your downgraded arming fault & the central locking fault is being caused by the aftermarket radio not being fitted correctly, although the car has ISO plugs on the radio it is not standard ISO wiring meaning aftermarket radios with ISO plugs are generally not plug & play. There are multiplexed VAN wires in this plug so if you connect a random radio to those connections you don't really know what they are connected to internally in the radio set.
To prove a point I would disconnect the radio completely from the car & clear the fault code, will be interesting to see if the fault clears & the central locking returns to normal.
JamesQB

Post by JamesQB »

Thanks for that info. A quick search on eBay shows an ISO to ISO adapter for sale for the C3 so an aftermarket radio can be fitted. Doubt many know it's needed when they see the car has an ISO socket. I don't know when I'll next get to the car, but I'll remove radio and get the lexia on it then report findings on here.

Thinking of that car, I don't suppose you'd know why the gear stick would be very stiff to move? I see on the citroen service website diagram that it uses cables. Are they known to become rusty and grease to harden?
Peugeot 407 2.0 HDi 2007
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Seen the gear cables seizing up loads on mk1 C5's but cant say ive ever seen the cables on a C3 become sticky.
JamesQB

Post by JamesQB »

I've bought the car and returned home. Clutch is slipping but I was given a clutch kit with car. How hard is a clutch change on this car? Might take it to garage if necessary.

The downgraded arming fault and locking problem have vanished with radio removal, thanks wheeler.

I've got a few things to sort: rust on rear outer sills, lots of moisture in nearside headlight, and stink of diesel when driving which appears to be what daviemck2006 mentioned. What injector seals cause diesel to be in injector wells and all around that area of then top of engine, the copper washers? Much of a job with the injectors in this car? I wondered if it might be weeps on injector fuel feed unions but doesn't seem to be.

Other than slipping clutch, it runs well and has more poke than I expected.
Peugeot 407 2.0 HDi 2007
JamesQB

Post by JamesQB »

Oh and someone's disconnected the radiator fan. I found out why when I plugged it back in and it came on instantly. Is that a short-circuit temperature switch in the rad? Bought h@ynes manual today online so haven't got a guide yet.
Peugeot 407 2.0 HDi 2007
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

Better changing the whole lot of the injectors. The copper washers, the plastic tubes and the rubber o rings. I bought a complete genuine ford kit, which arrived in peugeot citroen packaging for all 4 injectors and the rocker cover gasket from eBay for £35. I'm not doing it, it is in a garage, but I don't think it is difficult, just a bit fiddly, and be careful that you don't drop any of the crud into the pistons. There are a lot of posts about doing them on the fiesta 06 owners club. Sorry admins. Don't ban me for suggesting a Ford forum, but in my defence it is for a french engine [emoji12] [emoji3]

Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
In the family
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
JamesQB

Post by JamesQB »

I'll check that forum thanks.

I did look at an original citroen injector kit on eBay which included all the parts you mention, but it's £41 when I can buy just the copper washers for £5 which is still £4.90 profit for whoever makes them.

I could measure the rubber o-rings with callipers and buy identical ones for probably £2. Not sure if the plastic sleeves are important to change but I can't see why they'd need to be.

I'm tight I know, but I'm in a poverty-pay job so I have to watch the pennies.
Peugeot 407 2.0 HDi 2007
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)

Post by daviemck2006 »

Your poverty paid job must still be better than my unfit to work non job. But then, no travelling to work, no tax to pay, no council tax to pay, no rent to pay and probably I'm no worse off than a poverty pay job!

Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
In the family
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

JamesQB wrote:Oh and someone's disconnected the radiator fan. I found out why when I plugged it back in and it came on instantly. Is that a short-circuit temperature switch in the rad? Bought h@ynes manual today online so haven't got a guide yet.
If I remember right on the diesel models there is a little cooling fan control unit near the radiator when they fail they fail safe so put the fan on all the time. A coolant temp sensor could cause the same problem but I would expect to see a problem with the temp gauge/warning light. A quick look at the live data from the temp sensor with Lexia could rule out a sensor problem.
Has the locking problem also sorted itself out with the disconnection of the radio ?
JamesQB

Post by JamesQB »

Locking problem did indeed vanish when the aftermarket radio was removed. Never would have thought if that being the cause. Need to sort out all the pooled diesel around the injectors now, then get new clutch put in. Must do injectors first though in case the diesel leaking down side of block is getting into bell housing and contaminated the clutch.

Re my rusty sills, how does water get into them and should they have drain holes that might be blocked?
Peugeot 407 2.0 HDi 2007
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

on a goooogly search this came up relating to P0483

http://engine-codes.com/p0483.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;,

if the link is corre4ct its the cooling fan/circuit
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years