-15 deg C : BX wouldn't rise

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

robkgraham
My Cars:

-15 deg C : BX wouldn't rise

Post by robkgraham »

Well it did in the end but it took about 10 minutes. Any ideas why and what I should be looking at to address this which I take it isn't normal.
Rob
Edinburgh, TZD17
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Hi Rob - Probably because your LHM was like an ice-lolly. There was a discussion on one of the other sites a week or so ago about the likely-hood of LHM being hygroscopic. If it is, any water content would freeze - ??
robkgraham
My Cars:

Post by robkgraham »

<Hi Rob - Probably because your LHM was like an ice-lolly. There was a discussion on one of the other sites a week or so ago about the likely-hood of LHM being hygroscopic. If it is, any water content would freeze - ??>
That sounds like as good a reason as any ! Certainly the suspension came up fine at home today when the temp. was around 0 deg C. Perhaps that adds a bit of confirmation to the hydroscopic argument. Anyway I'm about to do a flush with Hydraflush so that should resolve that.
Cheers - oh by the way what's a 'Junior Member' ?
Rob
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Hi Rob - I haven't a clue!!!!!
robkgraham
My Cars:

Post by robkgraham »

Hi John - I see that I'm defined as a 'Starter Member' (2 posts) !! Perhaps someday I will becooema Junior Member and you on that basis will be a Senior one WOW !!!
Got an interesting mail from a guy in Finland which confirmed that pure sluggishness and viscosity seem to be the problem. His experience is that poor pump condition and 'old' LHM are the prime contributors. He changes his LHM just before winter each year, which is probably a good discipline to get it anyway. I got new LHM and hydraflush just before Xmas, and got a known good pump from a local engine-blown BX. Temperatures as low as -15 deg C are a 10 to 20 year rarity so this problem shouldn't be met again for a while !
Rob

[/quote]
eaudevie
My Cars:

Post by eaudevie »

I can assure you LHM IS NOT hygroscopic, you are thinking of brake fluid and even then the brake fluid acts as an anti-freeze. The cold weather will just make the oil thicken up and more difficult to pump round the system, if your pump is worn and oil is old this will not help.
John
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
<Hi Rob - Probably because your LHM was like an ice-lolly. There was a discussion on one of the other sites a week or so ago about the likely-hood of LHM being hygroscopic. If it is, any water content would freeze - ??>
That sounds like as good a reason as any ! Certainly the suspension came up fine at home today when the temp. was around 0 deg C. Perhaps that adds a bit of confirmation to the hydroscopic argument. Anyway I'm about to do a flush with Hydraflush so that should resolve that.
Cheers - oh by the way what's a 'Junior Member' ?
Rob

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>