Xantia Premature Ball Joint Wear

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ecohouse1
My Cars: Rover 75 CDT TourerAuto , , Mercedes 190E 1.8 1993, 2CV6 Special 1987, Peugeot 206 1.1 2001. Repairs and maintenance of two Hyundai i10s
Deceased
Xantia TD Estate 1999 (now with Chris Morewood)
Xsara 1.9D Saloon
BXTZD Break
BXTGD Hatch
Peugeot 309 1.9D
Various 2CVs
Porsche 924 lux
Porsche 924S
Renault Clio 1.4 Auto
GSA Pallas
Triumph Herald 1200

Xantia Premature Ball Joint Wear

Post by ecohouse1 »

Hi folks

Just fitted my 3rd new ball joint into the N/S on the Xantia in less than 2 years! Replaced O/S and N/S 24k miles ago, then last September, I did the N/S again- as the old one had a lot of play.(this is after c18k miles), this one did have a split in the gaiter, which may have been caused by me fitting it so fair play to that one. Fitted an ebay Veco joint that time, and it had now has developed play so replaced it again on Saturday and this one did not appear to have any gaitor damage apart from my brutish application of the splitter, removing the ball joint! Made extra sure that I did not damage the gaiter this time so see how long this one lasts I have these off pat now! Changed the one on Saturday in an hour and that was including the time to jack up and lower the car!!

Anyone had experienced of these lasting 5 minutes? I am wondering if its my driving along pot hole ridden minor roads and my forest track to the house?
Cheers

Alan
citronut
My Cars:

Re: Xantia Premature Ball Joint Wear

Post by citronut »

are you sure the play is in the joint and not were the swivel pin goes into the arm, i have seen play at this point in the past, either through just were from several swivels being replaced, or through over tightening the swivel nut and stretching the eye in the arm,
otherwise could be fake parts or from that E*C*P bunch ( no difference really)
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years