xmas from hell!!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

shaunthesheep
My Cars:

xmas from hell!!

Post by shaunthesheep »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Bad luck chap, cars seem to know when it's Christmas and when the shops will be shut! Check the cable is free and "un-stiff" or you'll be back there again soon.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ZX D
Toyota Estima 2.2TD
MZ 251 ETZ
MZ TS250/1 (x2)

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
just when i thought things WERE going ok this year, my car decided it had other plans, just left my house at 07.15, got onto the A12 going to work, then.......[:(][:0]
dashlights dimmed, followed by headlights going dim & then followed by a stereo that was going mad!!.[:(][:(]
so pulled over, checked for any loose connections, had to resort to getting recovered to work & getting it repaired there, the only problem was that it cost me just under £200 to get back on the road!
and what was the cause of this problem, THE ALTENATOR was knacked.
dom
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

Oh, they know al right.
Last year I had the good fortune (sarcasm) of working Xmas eve night shift. The guy who works with me lives about 40 miles away, he got about half way home and as he accelerated up the A1 sliproad his cambelt went. *OUCH*
gjb02
My Cars:

Post by gjb02 »

Yeah, Just spent Xmas eve and part of Boxing day getting the head back on my ZX 16V. Took it for its test drive...fine, strange knocking noise though??. Had a check for leaks....fine. Fluid levels ....check. Wait, what's that?? The exhaust sounds like it's blowing!! Took it to my friently Fastfit, where the confirmed the flange at the rear of my Catalytic converter is corroded. So the clamp is, just, holding the exhaust together. Thats what the knocking was, the exhaust was flapping about banging into stuff, underneath.
New Cat lying around anyone???[:(] I've had a look abut and the cheapest I could find is £150 inc. I'd have to fit it myself though.
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

is there not enough pipe after the cat to cut it back a bit and sleeve over a new section? Mine is blowing there and when i had my centre pipe replaced they said they could do exactly that easily and cheaply. This was a local exhaust place however, large ones will only sell you entire bits
gjb02
My Cars:

Post by gjb02 »

Hadn't thought of that. Thing is finding a garage willing to do it for little money. I dont mind shelling out for a new cat in a few months, but this time of the year is a little tight....know what I mean?? So, is it just a case of cutting off both flanges, and joining the two with a length of pipes, with some Gun Gum and a couple of clamps?? Might give it a go myself if I can find some pipe of the correct size. Cheers
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

Hi
Didnt really look at it too much when he said it. However as long as theres a reasonable length of "good" pipe left after the cat it should be simple to cut back the rot then slide over a slightly thicker bit and weld it together or this gum gum stuff you mention :) Then do the same to the centre pipe ensuring you make this sleeve the same length etc. Place I went to was a local exhaust centre, not a large company chain and they always seem quite helpful ie welded up a couple of holes before dirt cheap instead of saying, ah yes you must buy this new complete system for example
gjb02
My Cars:

Post by gjb02 »

It came to me in a dream!!! [:D]No, no I just had an idea, I'm going to 'splint' the joint. If the flange is corroded and cannot support the load, I'm going to splint it with some lengths of bar and clamp them to the pipes either side of the joint. This should give enough support.
At least in the short term anyway, I'm only looking for a couple of months, and about 1000 miles, before a new cat can be purchased.
Cheers for the idea though.
gjb02
My Cars:

Post by gjb02 »

Sourced a Cat (EuroCats) for £140 inc, 2 Year Guarantee can't be bad eh?? Now to fit it[:(]