Problem with rear washer

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

arno2143

Problem with rear washer

Post by arno2143 »

I have a Xsara Picasso 2.0 hdi, when I pull the washer stork back I get the jets on front windscreen as you'd expect but when I turn the end of the stork for the rear washer THAT too operates the front washer, Had a look at the washer bottle all seems fine. If anyone can think of why this is happening and advise me on how to get it sorted I'd appreciate it
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Re: Problem with rear washer

Post by spider »

Usually this type of fault is caused by the switch (if its not multiplexed) or the washer pump itself (either plexed or non plexed)

I'm assuming its a single pump with a twin outlet and the power / ground are just reversed to make it run one outlet or the other. You can check with a meter and an assistant if its this scenario and determine if the outputs are as expected, ie one should be power on front wash and the other should be power on the rear wash.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
arno2143

Post by arno2143 »

Thanks Andy
Straight away you got me, There's on myself and my wife available to look at it. It is a single pump with twin outlet.

Do you know if there's any Diagrams anywhere that shows how it should be as I don't own a meter and electrics aren't my forte
old-un77
My Cars: Renault 14...now skyward
Renault 19.. skyward also..
'03 Xsara 1.8 Picasso in silver met his maker
'06 Desire, again in silver also gonn to metal heaven

Post by old-un77 »

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/s ... d%5B0%5D=3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

try this for info......
Bob
Zelandeth
Donor 2024
My Cars: 2006 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi.
1988 Renault 25 Monaco 2.0i.
1985 Sinclair C5.
1984 Trabant 601S.
1975 Rover 3500.
1973 AC Model-70.

Post by Zelandeth »

Wherabouts are you?

Firstly, get a meter. Maplin will have one suitable for this type of work for under a tenner.

...I might even have on rattling around somewhere you can have.

You and your wife should be able to at least check the motor.

Connect the meter probes to each of the motor connections with the meter set to voltage DC mode (I can post a couple of pictures for this tomorrow when I'm at a computer) and have someone operate both the front and rear washers. For one you should see a voltage reading of around 12V. For the other you should see a voltage of around -12V. All it does is reverse the + and - connections, running the motor backwards. There is a valve built into it which then directs the water to either the front or rear washers. I would be willing to bet this has failed. Replacement once you have a new motor is literally a case of disconnection of the wires and hoses and pulling the motor out of the bung it is held into the bottle by (be prepared for it to pee screenwash everywhere!). Reassembly is the reverse of removal to quote a well known manual.

Give it a shot at testing the motor at least. If you prove it to be the culprit you will feel you've really achieved something.

Failing that, sure somebody nearby would be willing to lend a hand.

If the motor checks out, the switch I would assume to be the next likely fault - at that point I will bow out and let those who know the specifics of this vehicle better pipe up! The motor is a common setup used on thousands of cars, the switch needs a bit more "local knowledge" for want of a better term.

If you're in the vicinity of Milton Keynes I'd certainly be happy to help at least check the motor out.
Current fleet:
06 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi, 88 Renault 25 Monaco, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 75 Rover 3500, 73 AC Model 70.
arno2143

Post by arno2143 »

I live in south shields Zelandeth so unfortunately wouldn't be able to pop it in for you to have a look at, thanks for the offer. I will try and get a meter not sure when like as I'm disabled and only work 16 hours a week and with having a mortgage and obvious bills money is quite scarce. will keep you all updated on what I find and how I get on.

A long time ago my thing was bodywork so stripping things down isn't that bad, just the electrical and mechanical side lol.
Thanks again guys.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I'm just down the road in Washington and have a meter.
I'm tied up this weekend but may be able to look in on you next weekend and check the pump and supply for you.
If it is the pump a replacement is only around £13 from the dealer.
Don't be tempted to extract the pump if it isn't necessary - I did this and it cracked the reservoir :(

The reservoir is said to gum up when using cheap screenwash and it also affects the flapper valves in the pump. I was intending to flush the reservoir out. Did not go well :(
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

Here is a YouTube video which would help:

Quick fix of a windscreen fluid pump on a Citroën Xsara Picasso
C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Nice one VertVega! :)

How are things in the frozen north?
Had a chance to see for myself, free trip to Sweden with my son on his business account.
Can't fly anymore so that's kyboshed :( Love flying too :evil: :evil: :evil:
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

myglaren wrote:How are things in the frozen north?
Thanks, No complains, everything is fine. Getting warmer day by day ... :mrgreen:

and also brighter day by day (note the sunset and sunrise date/time at the lower part of the pic.) :lol:

Edit: myglaren, replying to your below msg,
YES, sunbathing whenever it's possible Image

Last edited by VertVega on 22 Feb 2015, 10:31, edited 1 time in total.
C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

VertVega wrote:
and also brighter day by day (note the sunset and sunrise date/time at the lower part of the pic.) :lol:
I bet you are out sunbathing now then :twisted: