xsara central locking

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

avin44
My Cars:

xsara central locking

Post by avin44 »

I have a 2002 xsara 1.6 SX and the central locking has never worked on the fob but only with the key in either front door, this has now decided to lock sometimes but most times it locks and unlocks itself straightaway and the boot lock has stopped working altogether, I have checked all the wires in the door jambs and only the wire for the electric windows was dodgy but I had already fixed that problem, does anyone have any ideas for getting the boot lid open or any clues as to the best approach ?, before I take a crowbar to it.
up, up and away
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: xsara central locking

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

There may be a rotating collar behind the boot release button (well, there is on my Xantia), and then this got dirty the solenoid couldn't move it. This collar, when the car was unlocked, completed the mechanical link between the button and the release mechanism. After a while (and when the weather warmed up) it started working again, so I opened and cleaned this collar.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
avin44
My Cars:

Post by avin44 »

Thanks for the reply and the information about the collar, does the lid need to be open to do this ?, I am presuming the inside panel will have to taken off first, the problem is the lid is stuck shut and some of the panel fastenings are at the bottom and can not be accessed as far as I can see.
If the lid would open it would be fairly simple to get to the lock but at the moment apart from the rubber part on the handle which comes off I can not see how to get at it.
up, up and away
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

You might want to try unlocking the car while getting somebody to thump around the boot release button to see if that helps (it might jar the collar loose). On Gracie I had to open the boot to access the collar, so, yes, it is a bit Catch22 (although it cleared when the weather warmed up, so I could then open the boot).
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
avin44
My Cars:

Post by avin44 »

Found the problem with the boot lock, the spindly piece of plastic that pulls the metal catch back had broken off, very weak looking part, so I have found another secondhand one on ebay, so hopefully the lid will be back to normal but still no luck with the central locking on the rest of the system, typical citroen electrics.
up, up and away
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

It's probably a dodgy micro swtich in one of the front door locks. If you could get it on a Lexia you could probably see which one was giving trouble. Not many around your neck of the woods with the kit though I think!!
Richard W
avin44
My Cars:

Post by avin44 »

I have found that if I leave the car for a while it then locks as normal but if I try to lock it as soon as I leave the car it does not lock, it almost seems as though it needs to cool down, could it be an overheating switch ?, sounds unlikely to me but who knows, it is a citroen after all, LOL.
up, up and away
old-un77
My Cars: Renault 14...now skyward
Renault 19.. skyward also..
'03 Xsara 1.8 Picasso in silver met his maker
'06 Desire, again in silver also gonn to metal heaven

Post by old-un77 »

http://www.cxoc.net/index.php?topic=6014.0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Link to the bsi manual for xsara/picasso