Christmas clutch calamity! [Xantai 1.8i 1994]

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Le-Mans
My Cars:

Post by Le-Mans »

I could not have connected my DIY clip to the cable if the pedal was anywhere near in place.
I can't see why the genuine Citroen clip can't be attached to the *removed* pedal, and then the cable attached to the clip with the pedal still *removed*. It all rotates freely enough when assembled so as to allow the pedal to be turned this way and that while you re-install it.
By the way, I used the masking tape method to hold the spring and plastic bush together, and I masking taped them to the end of a 12 inch piece of coat-hanger wire to feed them into place. You can see the tape is still there in my pics. [:)]
clink130
My Cars:

Post by clink130 »

There's some great advice on doing this job uner the topic 'Xantia clutch cable clip'.
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Le-Mans.. Its pretty obvious that the Citroen plastic clip is unreliable, so you would doing yourself and a great many other people a big favour if you persued your own "designed" clip to get it %100 working? you could prob sell a few as well (maybe even to Citroen!!) lol...
rs1800

Post by rs1800 »

Thx everyone who offered advise here. (especially le-mans for pics). I finally did it yesterday! only took 5 weeks lol.
I still have one problem though. I dont know where the brake cannister goes. I am sure I removed it from behind the brake pedal but it wont go back in the hole. The open end fits on to the floor and the solid end lines up with pedal but thats not right is it?
cheers
Howard
dyanesix
My Cars:

Post by dyanesix »

PING !! THUNK !!! no clutch .
This was a new experience for me my '94 Xantia and a saga I now know is all too common.I called to the local citroen agent who willingly sold me the part--BUT they were laughing!! the parts guy told me the first one he did took him 5 hours,this is echoed by all forum users concerned with this thread.
Looking at what Le-Mans fabricated would not the bracket used on the 2CV - A series clutch be an option?[?]
After reading through the forum the new Housing/Clip I purchased from Citroen is white plastic not black as the duff item,some of which is still on the car I have a broken clip (similar to Le-Mans' pic) and the sheared cable receiving tube.
According to some info Citroen designed this part to fail when the clutch/clutch cable are becoming worn or stiff-good job they don't apply this engineering to the rest of the car!!! Sorry they do.
dyanesix
My Cars:

Post by dyanesix »

Would just like to say thanks to all postee's for freely given advice
about the dreaded Clip ! managed it in just over 3 hours give or take.
Cheers All[:D]
David
Le-Mans
My Cars:

Post by Le-Mans »

rs1800:
Glad to hear my pics were helpful. I hope the same applies to future victims of the disintegrating clip, and I will stick to my promise of adding more pics when I get around to working on the car again.
James.UK:
I've already spent money on a new Citroen part but I haven't fitted it yet, and I suppose doing so would only be asking for it because the 100k+ mileage on my Xantia means the clutch will be getting progressively heavier from now on, and so increasing the chances of failure in the Citroen clip.
So I think you're right about trying to develop the DIY clip, and I've already given the matter some thought, leading to a few ideas for different designs. Some of the designs that I've imagined favour ease of installation against difficulty of fabrication, while others swing the balance in the other direction. I'm trying to find a happy medium that will also be an example of the spirit of my nickname-sake - Endurance! [:D]
dyanesix:
Do you have any pics or diagrams of the bracket used on the 2CV-A series clutch? I like the idea of modifying parts from other cars (such as the Peugeot 405) rather than making DIY parts from scratch. But my goal would be to minimise the amount of re-fabrication required while still achieving a perfect fit.
Designed to fail on aging clutch and cables huh? That’s just typical of modern car design and marketing. A part costing a fiver breaks and you go to a dealer/mechanic… “Oh, you really need a new clutch and cable to stop that happening again...” Never mind that you could probably do another 50K miles on the old clutch!
benewson

Post by benewson »

Regarding pictures of modifed clutch clips ,I have a picture Posted at
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/b.newson/repairs/
This pic shows a modified xantia cable nipple, fitted onto a modied
peugeot 405 pedal link.
thatorangething

Post by thatorangething »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by benewson</i>

Regarding pictures of modifed clutch clips ,I have a picture Posted at
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/b.newson/repairs/
This pic shows a modified xantia cable nipple, fitted onto a modied
peugeot 405 pedal link.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
johnlyn
My Cars:

Post by johnlyn »

Just want to thank all on this topic for the advice given on the dreaded clutch clip - more help than the manual! Mine went Friday night at bottom of hill where I live - small fiesta had to bring me back up hill. Got part Saturday and thanks to you lot managed to refit new clip Saturday evening. [:)]
johnny
My Cars:

Post by johnny »

Had similar problems with clutch clip Xantia 1.9TD (250k miles)dead now thanks to irresponsible Ford driver losing control.
Having replaced clip several times at one point with new cable as well I found that pouring gearbox oil down the clutch cable made the pedal operation alot lighter in use.
I think that part of the problem is due to the fact that cable is much longer and has to go through an 'S' bend as its routed through on RHD cars whereas much shorter and only one bend on LHD.
Cable also passes fairly close to exhaust downpipe on RHD cars.
Johnny
Car replaced with 2.0HDI with only 100K loads of life in it yet (I HOPE!!!)
astraa
My Cars:

Post by astraa »

Has any one got the pics listed on this thread, as they do not show now, I run a website and can place them there, but for now I need them so I can also do the repair to my car. and help greatly welcome.
Astraa
tofrek@gotadsl.co.uk
PicassoPigeon
My Cars:

Post by PicassoPigeon »

I would also like to have these pic's as my clip went ping yesterday afternoon.
Have so far got the bottom of the dash off and pulled off the plunger on the back of the brake, although i think only half of it came off as i can put my finger in the back and the spring is still there. I think i may try to get hold of a metal clip and do the rest of the job over the weekend if the weather will let me. yeh right[:D]