Suspension Spheres (Don't you dare laugh - lol)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

flygirl757
My Cars:

Suspension Spheres (Don't you dare laugh - lol)

Post by flygirl757 »

Hi! Me again (and again and again - lol). You will all think this is a totally silly question but just go to ask.

Car is a 1994 Xantia 1.9 TD. It has 5 spheres as you ALL know. The only spheres we have ever changed in about 12 years are the 4 spheres over the wheels. The question is: What does the 5th sphere do and, if it is depleted, does it affect the ride quality and the speed of 'sinking. I can hear you all groaning now - lol.

My Dad says that the old fashioned Haynes Manual would have explained all this. He looked at the one my bf and I have and said it was rubbish and as good as useless - lol. He called it a glorified Driver's Handbook.

So, a clue as to what it does and whether it affects the ride quality would be appreciated as it sinks quite quickly now (especially the back and those spheres are brand new) and the ride can be a little 'lumpy' (by Citroen standards). Oh yes, does the suspension hydraulic system ever need bleeding?
Many thanks in advance (hopefully)
1994 Xantia 1.9TD
Jaf
My Cars:

Re: Suspension Spheres (Don't you dare laugh - lol)

Post by Jaf »

Isn't there always a 6th sphere guys? The rear anti sink sphere?

The corner spheres are shock absorbers, instead of McPherson struts. The other sphere(s) don't affect ride quality, they are called accumulator spheres (anti sink sometimes instead for the rear) they slow the sinking with engine off but more importantly the front accumulator sphere gives you some braking with the engine off.

If you're brave you can check it's working by parking on a slope, turn the engine off and see if the brakes work! If it's really bad you won't have any brakes, good and they work for a good while (when fixed I got bored timing it, was at least 5 brake pumps). The accumulator sphere makes a regular "tick" sound, the longer it takes the better, more than 30 secs is ok. But you need to know the sound.

You know that the LHM hydraulic fluid feeds brakes, suspension and steering? Should be bled/ changed every so often. Bleed just cos it gets stuck and the far ends of the system and gets old and dirty.
Fred, a silver 1998 1.9TD SX Xantia.
Gwin, a white 1994 1.1 AX.
oscar
Location: London near that big building with the flashing light!
My Cars: 2001 Xsara Picasso 2.0 HDi

Post by oscar »

Hi i guess you mean the one side/front of engine? thats the one if so that comes from pump needs changing if the click is very fast esp.
94 would be a sinker i think so don't if i remember right have one on rear sub frame.
but yes it does need bleeding if been messed about with plus the fluid needs changing as if been left too long gets dirty and thin so needs more pressure to work.
Front sphere is quite easy to change norm easy if warm get something to grip it suitable. stick it on high first then stick something underneath like stands lower it turn off then with 11mm or 10mm spanner release nut you will find with flat head has a raised bit round it ish The BOL(book of lies) haynes manual should show that at least? "Only undo bolt a few turns max!!!" as there is a small ball bearing sat inside behind it and if you undo fully like AA did to me you won't get any brakes or anything for that matter to work luckily for us i had sharp eyes and saw it on the road! and they let them fix our car's?
Once depressurised undo sphere with said took making sure find seal also(black rubber like ring) then place a seal on new one screw into place nip it up tightish tighten up bolt then start up and it should rare it's head up ready to go
chinkostu
My Cars: N Xantia 1.9TD SX
03 Fiesta 1.4 Zetec

Post by chinkostu »

if you can, post the REG. that way we can see if its an antisink or not.

or, better still, if you get a chance nip your head under the back, if theres a sphere behind the wheel carrier its an antisink.

regardless, you should still have a good ride even if the accumulators knackered, as it'll just be running the pump full pelt. the best way of checking is to sit in it on normal and listen for a loud "click" noise. i found it easier to hear inside the car (funnily).

the antisink sphere is a rear accummulator, so if the pressure drops (engine off/broken belt ETC) there is enough reserve for the rear brakes as the antisink valves usually cut them off (if i've read right).

changing the front accumulator isn't too hard. i found on my TD it was rock solid, so stuck the car on some metal ramps, stuck on low and depressurised, then had to move the intercooler piping and airbox out of the way to get a long chisel at it from the top!

if the rear ends dropping like a stone then you might have something leaking back, as they do sink but not that quickly!
Stu

Cars
1995 Xantia 1.9TD SX in (faded) Red
2003 Fiesta 1.4 Zetec in GREEEEEEEN
2001 206 1.9 LX
2001 Saxo VTR
1999 Saxo 1.1 East coast
1999 Punto :oops:
1996 306 1.8 XN Auto :?
1996 Fiesta 1.3 #-o