C5 s1 clutch

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

C5 s1 clutch

Post by jgra1 »

chaps, my c5 has been a great car.. now 150k, I have managed about 35K in 30 months, mostly hassle free, but the clutch is really going now.. it has only slipped once (4 weeks ago) , but once is enough.. I do tow and carry weight and I am thinking change it or the car :lol:

I cannot face what I assume the cost of a solid FW conversion seems to be.. a few hundred when I last looked..

is there any reason why I cannot get a second hand solid flywheel from a breaking HDi xant, and a new clutch kit for same?
or am I missing something really obvious?

John
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: C5 s1 clutch

Post by Peter.N. »

You may well get away with just changing the clutch if your DMF is still in good condition, my C5 has done 200k and my 406 232k on the original, if its not exhibiting signs of wear when driving you wont really know until you take it out.

If you can manage to drive the car without slipping the clutch it could last many more thousands of miles. It will usually slip at full throttle at max torque around 2000rpm. If you can bring yourself to drive it carefully it will also improve the fuel consumption. I don't have any problem with this as I am old but if you have to drive it hard consider just changing the clutch.

Peter
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

If all else is good, the cars are happy to run to 250 ++k, I would keep it and do the clutch rather than chop it out...it makes good budget sense to be able to know the car as well as you do. That is worth a lot. When you know a car the "faults" don't often come as a surprise and you can budget for it OK and keep mobile, as now. It is all about how ruthless you are with your budget/vrs costs

IMHO a good c5Mk1 in 2ltr is a better car to drive than the later Facelift (DPF) and seems to have less problems, nice and comfy with leather, again another reason not to chop it.

Keep Driving with care ??..........Untill it slips and you cannot get up a hill with a load in...and the bearing disintegrates.

Agree, if it slips it is time to get it changed ASP with your needs for safety if nothing else..
There MUST Be good solid C5 flywheels out there for the C5 Mk1 in good medium condition or even better in some quantity now in the scrappy world.
So phoning around my give a bonus of good 2nd and solid.

Yours DMF could be OK but for £50 or such maybe the solid would be a good bet long term.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
MG TF 135
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R

Post by jgra1 »

thanks both

Peter I drive it like a loon at the moment, quite enjoying it to be sure ;)
I am steady on longer journeys, always have been.. but hacking around these parts no chance ;)

I have the old boat, and hope this year to use it a bit, near you :) .. but that will do for the clutch I think..

car has been good, know it's a good model/engine.. although I feel like a change, something less smelly hehe ..
I really want a 2.0 16 135 if I am going to step up.. not sure what in... half fancy a people carrier for no good reason, (I don't have any 'people' ) ! but I do carry a lot, and the bike and hopefully the MG are the fun things..

but saying all of that, money has been pouring out recently, economy looks a little dodgy in my industry, and as SF says, I know the car well, its comfy and cheap to run, and I am perfectly happy to pull the box off over a weekend if it is not silly money..
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

I think S1 C5s must be the cheapest cars to buy and run at the moment, even the facelift 135 Hdi's are not dear but they are not as cheap or easy to work on as the 8 valve. Don't know if yours is an estate but they are huge inside, higher in fact than the XM although not quite as long.

Peter
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
MG TF 135
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R

Post by jgra1 »

hatch Peter..

Yes I got a car hard top in mine last week :)

carries two armchairs ok too, when I move every few weeks :twisted:

somewhere I have a pic of 5m timbers on the roof bars :rofl2:
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

You can get 3 metres inside the estate. 8-)