Battery earth cable/ clamp (disintegrated)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Jaf
My Cars:

Battery earth cable/ clamp (disintegrated)

Post by Jaf »

Hi guys. My battery earth clamp has disintegrated...2 cables off it, 1 to engine bay, does the other main cable go to the gearbox? Would Citroen have one? Or otherwise anyone know the dimensions so I can get one made?

Would rather change the whole thing than just the clamp if possible.

Thanks!
Fred, a silver 1998 1.9TD SX Xantia.
Gwin, a white 1994 1.1 AX.
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Re: Battery earth cable/ clamp (disintegrated)

Post by spider »

I think it comes as one harness ie the complete earth cable, aka "battery negative harness" (or something worded like that) There's a slight chance it may be a bag with the positive harness in as well but I do not think that's the case.

Typically you'd have one bolted to the transmission area and the other going somewhere to the bodyshell.

I don't think you can get just the genuine clamp in most cases, although going back a bit I could not get one for the 205TD (despite it being used on more up to date models) and got a universal battery terminal and used that to replace it instead as I was in a hurry.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Part Number Description Quantity Price excl. VAT Price incl. VAT Total incl. VAT Selection
00005638A5 NEGATIVE CABLE 92.63 GBP 111.16 GBP 111.16 GBP

If the cables are still flexible, then I would just replace the clamp. If they are not, then I would get one made up from some heavy duty cable - you can buy battery cable from e-bay for instance. 2 Connections - one onto the gear box, and the other the earth plate down the side of the battery.
Richard W
Jaf
My Cars:

Post by Jaf »

Yikes! Muchas pasta tio! Or...that's a lot of bread man!

Thanks...got tomorrow and the weekend and Monday to sort her. Will be looking at the cable, and the positive one...and LHM seal arrived for the rear anti sink sphere pipe. Yay. Oh and change glow plugs and have another go at diesel tank breather pipe leak and have a go at the central locking then glue some trim back on. Oh yeah and change the doseur seal. Sigh.

Got a clamp from the 1 spares shop in town. Found out the spares shop in another town, an hour away, makes cables up to pattern. I do miss having a good spares shop. And cake.

Thanks a lot.
Fred, a silver 1998 1.9TD SX Xantia.
Gwin, a white 1994 1.1 AX.
sparksie
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by sparksie »

£111???
Somebody take a pic and give me the dimensions.
I'll make them and post them for the cost of the parts and the price of postage!
That's outrageous. Make something that's not up to the job, then extort a kings ransom when it fails!
Sparksie

2000 Xantia 1.9TurboD