P Reg (1996) Berlingo Diesel Van Heater Fan Inoperative

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ManicMechanic
New User

P Reg (1996) Berlingo Diesel Van Heater Fan Inoperative

Post by ManicMechanic »

Hi All,
My Screen Name was supposed to have been 'ManicMechanic' as I used to work as a mechanic, though now I'm in vehicle manufacturing; but whatever, I reckon I need a new keyboard! lol

Anyway, my partner is a florist and she uses her (usually!) ultra-reliable P Reg Berlingo van in her business. Apart from the usual service item replacements, we have not really had any problems - until recently, when the heater motor has decided not to work. Had to be winter, eh? Couldn't do it in July! :-)

To cut to the chase, I will list what I've done and maybe someone out there who is more aufeit with Berlingos, will be able to suggest a cure.

1. I have tested the fan motor off car (on a battery) and it runs perfectly - I also have a spare fan motor that does the same.

2. I have fitted a new (genuine Citroen) resistor pack into the air flow passage in the heater box assembly (that WAS fun!)

3. I have checked the voltage into the motor (red lead = 12v) out of the motor (black lead = 12v) and to the 4 coloured wires coming from the resistor in to the switch plug - again, all show 12v.

4. I have checked the operation of the heater switch with an Ohm meter and get a circuit reading for each of the 4 main 'feeds' to the earth contact.

5. I have checked the White wire's continuity to earth with an Ohm meter and all seems okay.

I was never a fan of vehicle electrics, but as far as I can see, with 12volts in, through the motor, through the variable resistor, down to the switch and thence down to earth, it should work. But it bl**dy well doesn't! LOL

If anyone 'out there' has the answer, I'd much appreciate their getting in touch, as I'm getting fed up with scraping candle wax off the top of the dashboard when trying to defrost the windscreen! LOL Only kidding. :-)

Anyway, I look forward to any help that may be forthcoming and am now off to bathe the cuts I received whilst installing the new resistor.

All the best
George.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: P Reg (1996) Berlingo Diesel Van Heater Fan Inoperative

Post by myglaren »

Welcome George. :welc:
Your screen name can be changed if you wish.
ManicMechanic
New User

Re: P Reg (1996) Berlingo Diesel Van Heater Fan Inoperative

Post by ManicMechanic »

Hi there - and thanks for that. I will probably change it tomorrow (Monday) when I have more time.

Again,
Many thanks.