XANTIA FRONT SUSPENSION STRUT

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

flygirl757
My Cars:

XANTIA FRONT SUSPENSION STRUT

Post by flygirl757 »

Me again - so sorry. Yesterday I posted about the rubber return pipe on the front suspension. (Xantia 1.9TD, 1994) LOADS of replies - thank you BUT...BUT when my bf removed the split pipe he noticed an occasional tiny drop of suspension fluid dripping out of the bottom of the gaiter at the bottom of the suspension strut. Is there anybody out there who can tell me why and is there a repair kit for this. If not, does this mean a new strut (well, second hand to be honest - lol). Any clues where to get one would be most appreciated. Hope someone can help. Only reason this car is still on the road is because of this forum and I mean that - lol
1994 Xantia 1.9TD
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: XANTIA FRONT SUSPENSION STRUT

Post by CitroJim »

Thanks for the kind words about the forum :-D

Am I correct in thinking you mean the tapered gaiter that covers the very top of the strut Flygirl?

It may be just wetness from the perished return pipe but to check the gaiter needs to be pulled down from the strut top whilst the suspensio is on high..

This will expose the full length of the strut piston and it and the immediately surrounding area should be dry. In fact the piston gets so dry in service normally that on occasion they need lubricating to prevent creaks and jerky operation.

If the piston and surrounding is found wet them dry thoroughly and observe for a a bit and after a quick trip around the block or so. If the piston and surrounding area is wet again then sadly the strut has had it and needs replacing, they cannot be overhauled. Happily this is a rare occurrence on a Xantia. Replacement 2nd hand struts are easily obtained and easily replaced.

I expect you'll find it's just wetness from the original leak...

Normally struts giving up reveal themselves before they leak by causing rapid sinking.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

the other possible cause for citro blood to be seen here is if the car has possibly had spheres fitted recently, as when spheres are removed citro blood ends up around the base of the strut top above the inner wing/wheel arch, then it seeps down under the inner wing,

or it could be a sphere seal leaking
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
flygirl757
My Cars:

Post by flygirl757 »

CitroJim and Citronut, thanks ever so much for you replies and advice. You're very kind to take the time.
New spheres were fitted about 2 years ago but have to admit the previous ones were in a very sorry and bouncy state. Would this have put extra pressure on the strut and is the strut like a shock absorber and filled with oil?
In addition, CitroJim, the leaky pipe mentioned in my previous post a few days ago is a few inches below the the bottom of the gaiter (where it seems to be leaking). Is this indicative of a leaky strut?
So SO sorry to be a pain and labour this point but my bf is not a mechanic but he is competent (he'll like that comment - lol) and doesn't want to start dismantling a strut if it is not necessary. I have to admit it does look like a leaky strut (obviously if the strut is filled with oil - see previous query earlier in this post).
Any advice gratefully received.
X
1994 Xantia 1.9TD
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

No, the pipe in question carries is a functional return so it's normal to be full of LHM. However, it's not normal for LHM to be leaking out of the strut gaiter unless what you see is blow-back from the leaking pipe..

The volume of LHM in that pipe can go everywhere and make a mess far in excess of what you could believe and it can end up everywhere. Imagine a baby in a high-chair eating and you will get the idea!

I've once known the mess be mistaken for a bad strut in the past.

Has your BF done as suggested earlier and had the strut gaiter down and done a clean-up?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
flygirl757
My Cars:

Post by flygirl757 »

Thanks for your help regarding the possibility of a leaking strut. Further to your informative post about leaking struts being rare, my bf had a MUCH closer look and you were right. The strut is ok and a small leak in the rubber pipe had thrown fluid all over the place (loved your analogy about the baby in high-chair. BF had trouble trying to find out how the clip worked - lol - so he put a big jubilee clip around it and seems to be working just fine. Thanks again. x
1994 Xantia 1.9TD
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

That's fantastic news Flygirl :-D

Excellent!
Jim

citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

You need special "Clip" pliers to apply the clip properly... As you have used a Hose Clip, its strongly advised to take the Square PLATE from the original clip, which is easily removed - and place it between the hose clip and rubber return pipe.. This then ensures even placement of "Holding" pressure to the rubber pipe and also ensures a proper pipe to strut seal .. useing a hose clip alone can cause incorrect seal - collapse of the rubber return way and lots more fun etc.

As for parts if ever! DO Ask me, ive a fair few in the shed! Which though, I do want to clear out soon. Despite another recent xantia strip down...
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
flygirl757
My Cars:

Post by flygirl757 »

Ever so sorry to worry you again. I know I can be a pest. You may remember me. It is Michelle (flygirl757) and I posted a few weeks ago regarding a leaky return pipe or a leaky strut. You may recall I posted a short time afterwards that the pipe was indeed leaking and we hoped for a happy ending but there is still splatters of fluid under the wheel-arch and the reservoir is going down at an alarming rate so, just to preempt my bf taking the wheel off and checking the return pipe is not leaking again (should a sealant be used or does it just clamp onto the strut?) we were wondering that IF we did need another strut whether they are universal across the Xantia range. MY car is a 1994 1.9TD so would a strut off a, say, 1997 (or any other Xantia year) fit. Also, you wouldn't happen to know of any breakers (who do mail order) who have one as I have tried a few in Cheshire to no avail. To be fair, I will post this in the general questions page as well. Again, so sorry to be a pest but I've had this car for years and I do want to keep it for as long as possible. Thanking you in advance.
1994 Xantia 1.9TD
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

flygirl757 wrote:Ever so sorry to worry you again. I know I can be a pest. You may remember me. It is Michelle (flygirl757) and I posted a few weeks ago regarding a leaky return pipe or a leaky strut. You may recall I posted a short time afterwards that the pipe was indeed leaking and we hoped for a happy ending but there is still splatters of fluid under the wheel-arch and the reservoir is going down at an alarming rate so, just to preempt my bf taking the wheel off and checking the return pipe is not leaking again (should a sealant be used or does it just clamp onto the strut?) we were wondering that IF we did need another strut whether they are universal across the Xantia range. MY car is a 1994 1.9TD so would a strut off a, say, 1997 (or any other Xantia year) fit. Also, you wouldn't happen to know of any breakers (who do mail order) who have one as I have tried a few in Cheshire to no avail. To be fair, I will post this in the general questions page as well. Again, so sorry to be a pest but I've had this car for years and I do want to keep it for as long as possible. Thanking you in advance.
Paul's post, the one above yours, should tell you how to use a normal hose clip. I expect Paul might have some struts too... ;-) I believe any strut from a Non-Hydractive Xantia can be used for your car.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

The correct pliers (sometimes called "clic-clip pliers") are cheap enough to buy and make a difficult job quite a lot easier.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Struts are generally the same across the range but V6 and N/S Activa ones are definitely different...
Jim

citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i suspect as you have used a hose clip you have squished the block to the point it is curling outwards at the edges,
or you have not lined the center of the block up with the hole in the strtut,

all you need to fit a new leg pipe clip is a pair of carpenters pincers

https://www.google.co.uk/#q=carpenters+ ... 1728114501" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

i use some a frien gave me he purchased in a set of pliers from Lidl,

i ground the jaw edges so they were thinner to fit into the clip better
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years