Dispatch 1.9D Lucas Fuel Pump / Solenoid

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

citronut
My Cars:

Re: Dispatch 1.9D Lucas Fuel Pump / Solenoid

Post by citronut »

ekjdm14 wrote:
Forgot to mention this, while we waited for the new part from ebay we ran round for a few days with the plunger removed. Just have to stall it to "switch off" the engine then :)
i would not recommend staling a diesel as you risk shattering the clutch disc, i have seen this a few years back when someone bought a BX to me to have a new clutch fitted, the clutch drive plate had disintegrated into several bits,
i was not told of the starting issue till i went to start the car, when the owner said they had been bump starting it for a few weks as it would not start,

turned out that was just the glow plugs had died, most expensive set of glow plugs known to man,

as the OP says if he has to he can shut the engine down with the kill lever on the pump
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: '95 Xantia 1.9D automatic - 109k one of two remaining
'03 206 GTi180 - 97k in pieces being brought back up to snuff
'03 206 1.9TD - home-built veg-fuelled B-road bruiser
'99 306 SE 2.0i cabriolet - 92k awaiting service work ready for next summer
'97 306 XS 1.6i 3 door, Bianca White, from dead 12 years & seized solid to road legal in 7 days

Post by ekjdm14 »

citronut wrote:i would not recommend staling a diesel as you risk shattering the clutch disc.....

.....as the OP says if he has to he can shut the engine down with the kill lever on the pump
not ideal by any means, but depends how you stall it really. Stick it in 1st & sidestep the clutch then its asking for trouble with the whole drivetrain, but in an emergency I've never had a problem by selecting 5th & feeding the clutch in instead of "dropping" it...

I never saw mention of a stop lever by the OP, but then I was skimming through posts whilst being jumped on by an 11yr old :rofl2: so could have easily missed it, and I don't think our pump has a stop lever at all (I had a good look too since I would have been happy with an old-fashioned "pull-to-stop" handle on the dash, it's fun to be different that's why we drive Citroens after all! :-D ) but sounds like the OP's pump/immobiliser systems are significantly different to the ZX anyway, as our stop solenoid was a 2 wire with no other electronics under the armour.
'95 Xantia LX 1.9D-auto, Black, 109k
'03 206 GTi180 94k in surgery
'03 206 1.1S XUD9TE/veg project :mrgreen:
'99 306 2.0SE cabriolet 95k summer toy
'97 306 XS 1.6i 99k sat 12 years, fixed in 7 days, 150mile maiden voyage :rofl2:
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Definitely agree Malcolm about not stalling a diesel to stop it...

For the Lucas pump here's the emergency stop lever - the tab marked with a big red arrow..

Push it away from the screw head to stop the engine..

Note: Car and engine removed for clarity...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Thinking again when you said three wires...

The wiring inside the cover (the armour) is a signal from the tranponder (2 wires) and power.

Some lucas DW8's have a 'tube' type solenoid that's really weird, I think Jim might remember what I mean here, its got the electronics in the solenoid casing itself. Quite rare thankfully.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

spider wrote: Some lucas DW8's have a 'tube' type solenoid that's really weird.
Yes indeed :twisted: Good old Joe Lucas did do some intriguing things late in his career :lol: And some good things too, like the EPIC pump :)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Deequeue

Post by Deequeue »

Hi Gents!

Right, So I have a running van again :) Well chuffed as it means the other half gets her Yaris back tomorrow, also means I've been able to get my mx5 prepped for some welding and an oil change done on my track bike. Overall a productive weekend!

Indeed I did mention about the stop lever - I think it was one of CitroJim's posts where I saw it in the first place - I definitely recognize that photo... makes things remarkably easy to see with the car and rest of engine out of shot - although mine required a small amount of persuading with a flat bladed screwdriver, as I dont think it had been moved in about 15 years :)

It looks like mine has the tube type solenoid - the 3 wires disappear in to the solenoid casing itself, before connecting to owt. The tube sleeving means it has to be persuaded out with a hammer and center punch / drift too, as they have no fitting for a socket.

I'll definitely post up a pic of it when I get the replacement solenoid.

Interesting posts about not stalling it - I'll definitely not be doing that any more then. I've done it once as yet by chucking it in 5th and letting the clutch out slowly, but if it can risk damage then i'll pop the bonnet for the stop lever. Seems a small inconvenience for not damaging it.

Thanks to you all for the advice - I was a little anxious about taking a cutting disk to the armour, and what I might find underneath there. I've got plenty of experience working on anything bike related, including engine strips, and suspension / brakes on cars, but all petrol based. When it comes to diesel engines and electronic immobilizers I'm very much a novice - its been much appreciated.

Dale
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Dale, pleased you found the forum useful :-D

Excellent news it's all good again =D>
Jim

ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)
'97 306 XS 1.6i 3 door, Bianca White, from dead 12 years & seized solid to road legal in 7 days

Post by ekjdm14 »

Deequeue wrote:......Interesting posts about not stalling it - I'll definitely not be doing that any more then. I've done it once as yet by chucking it in 5th and letting the clutch out slowly, but if it can risk damage then i'll pop the bonnet for the stop lever. Seems a small inconvenience for not damaging it.....
very true, not much of a trek round the front of the vehicle to switch off. Saying that, Citrojim's pic looks different to ours for some reason. Will have to go take a look later when I check the fluids (still not used a drop of coolant or oil in 1500miles of being back on the road :) )
'97 306 XS 1.6i 99k sat 12 years, fixed in 7 days, 150mile maiden voyage :rofl2:
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

ekjdm14 wrote:Citrojim's pic looks different to ours for some reason.
It's because it's a very old version of the Lucas DPC pump :) The one before the armouring and immobilising bits came to be..

The principles remain the same though...

Under the armour all the Lucas mechanical pumps are very similar and are based on a design going back to the early 1950s and Fordson tractors!
Jim

ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)

Post by ekjdm14 »

CitroJim wrote:
ekjdm14 wrote:Citrojim's pic looks different to ours for some reason.
It's because it's a very old version of the Lucas DPC pump :) The one before the armouring and immobilising bits came to be..

The principles remain the same though...

Under the armour all the Lucas mechanical pumps are very similar and are based on a design going back to the early 1950s and Fordson tractors!
Wow never knew they went that far back, guess that's why they have the mechanical stop then as a throwback to when diesels were stopped by a cable pull :/ Just had a look and the lever IS indeed present on ours, just not easy to see when you don't know it's there! and as per the OP it was seized too.

The only thing I've ever bothered learning about Lucas pumps is that the pump head isn't lubricated the way Bosch types are and as such they hate being fed SVO, leading to sheared pump shafts... Shame as the fuel filter on our ZX is heated by the 'stat housing so would be an ideal motor for "vegetising".
rbwbabs
My Cars: citroen dispatch

Post by rbwbabs »

Hi Malcolm,
You mention your repair shop.
Do you work on citroen dispatchs?
My 2001 , 1.9 , has been off the road in Brighton,for weeks due to the solenoid on the fuel pump breaking down. The garage were doubtful about the 'immobiliser bypass' rewiring that I've noted several places online. I then bought a Bosch replacement pump instead of the broken Lucas one by mistake and they are not impressed with 'rejigging' re the different firing order.
But online advice suggests that Lucas pumps are best avoided.
If you work on dispatches I am wondering if you can point me to details about wiring around the solenoid that my non mechanical mind would be able to describe to the garage - Thwaites or I could get it towed to yours?
Thanks Babs
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

Hello Babs,

Welcome to the Forum.

Alas Malcolm has moved on to pastures new, but I'm sure other members will be along soon to help & make suggestions.
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )