Heater matrix connection problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Heater matrix connection problem

Post by Richard Gallagher »

Does anyone have a suggestion for a problem with one of my Xantias in that I have just endured the unbelieveable task of renewing the heater matrix and am now stuck on trying to reconnect the double-headed pipe onto the matrix itself. The problem I now have is that the pipe is almost, but not quite home enough to allow the clip to click into place. I greased the new rubber washers before fitting but now the pipe refuses to either push on any further or pull off. Is there some special technique I am missing out on?
Also if anyone else is contemplating doing this job please do not underestimate the task, the Haynes manual only touches the surface it does not mention where the last nut is to release the dashboard, namely behind the LHM tank with a plastic clip supporting a pipe that you need 'multi-jointed' limbs to access. I personally put this job as the most unpleasant one I have ever done on a car, let me change a clutch or engine any day!
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

If it wont come off again are you sure it isn't allready fully home and cliped on.
Is it the early type with both the plastic moulded on clip between the pipes (which usualy breaks) and the steel clip fitted afterwards, or the later type with integral steel clip, I can't see a reason why the pipes shouldn't come off again easily, especialy if they've been lubed, unless of course they are infact allready cliped in place.
When I do these I put the O rings in place in the matrix end and wiggle the pipes a bit untill they go through, you'll see the pipes are tapered slightly at the end to allow this, putting the rings on the pipe end can chop lumps out of them as they are pushed in.
Dave
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Dave, its got the later steel clip. I've been looking at it with the aid of a torch and mirror and can see that the clip has not engaged. I found the pipe to be unbelievably tight to get off to the extent that I broke the housing when foolishly using a lever on it. I have now got hold of a second hand one but don't fancy buying a new Citroen on at £75.
I fitted the O rings in the matrix and I've tried wiggling the pipes, gently tapping them, pushing as hard as I can, but no joy.
I am only left with the thought of getting the car up to temperature and either the heat will ease the problem or when the pressure builds up blows the pipe off. (Stand well back!)
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

Hi Richard,
I did my Xantia's matrix, Have you made sure that that O rings are going inside the connecting pipes that you are trying to clip on? If you dont get the pipe over the O rings and just push the pipes onto the matrix 'tails' the O rings push to the back (bulkhead) and seem to seal but the clip doesn't fasten. The O rings seal by being between the matrix tails and the inside of the 'double-headed' pipe, use a water soluble lubricant on your O rings and on the adjoining faces of pipe.
You should find this solves the problem.
Regards
Paul.
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Thanks for the help chaps, I've now managed to get it sorted out. I again tried to move the pipe this morning but it was stuck solid so I got the engine up to temperature and the pipe just pulled out without much effort. I then found it slipped straight on without much effort and so far, (fingers crossed) no leaks.
It may be worthwhile removing the pipe with the engine hot at the start of the job as I had a hell of a job removing it and broke the pipe. It seems similar to dismantling an old exhaust, heat is the answer!