Xsara heater matrix hoses-refit problems

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Satanism

Xsara heater matrix hoses-refit problems

Post by Satanism »

Hey guys,

It may have been discussed here but I couldn't find anything.
I have just changed my heater core but I have problems reconnecting the heater hoses to the matrix. The hoses just don't go far enough so the clip could be fastened.Anybody experienced anything like that or have a trick to fix this?It needs 2-3mm more so it could get into place but the hoses won't go further no matter how much I push or what lubricant I use. Also have tried without 0-rings...no luck either.

The car is a 99 Xsara 1.6i

thats how it sort of looks like even though i think this pic is not from a xsara.

thanks in advance!
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Re: Xsara heater matrix hoses-refit problems

Post by MikeT »

Yep, spent literally days fighting this "problem". I believe it's to do with how the matrix and/or holding plate is lined/bolted up to the bulkhead. If it's not fully flush/square/abbuted and tightened up the hoses coupling won't go that last micron to latch in place. I could be wrong but trust me when I say that force is not the fix, so don't go getting all primeval on it and wearing yourself out using aggression (like I tried); I devised all manner of ways to push/ram the connector on when, in fact, once aligned properly, it took very little effort to get it to clip in place - I mean a small girl could probably do it.
Satanism

Post by Satanism »

MikeT wrote:Yep, spent literally days fighting this "problem". I believe it's to do with how the matrix and/or holding plate is lined/bolted up to the bulkhead. If it's not fully flush/square/abbuted and tightened up the hoses coupling won't go that last micron to latch in place. I could be wrong but trust me when I say that force is not the fix, so don't go getting all primeval on it and wearing yourself out using aggression (like I tried); I devised all manner of ways to push/ram the connector on when, in fact, once aligned properly, it took very little effort to get it to clip in place - I mean a small girl could probably do it.
Hey, thanks for your reply.
Not being native in English, I don't really understand what is not aligned with what and how to get it like that.....pretty much my whole car is put together, this is the only thing missing and I'm good to go...but one of the bolts, holding my heating box or whatever the bulky thing containing the heating core is called(the long ones held by a golden nut) is broken so it may well be that the whole thing stays just a little out of place.... :S I hope i don' have to put the whole car apart again.... :(

PS already tried it with the hammer....gently, of course, as much as this is possible with a hammer and it didn't move....so I figured violence is not the solution :D

PS2. iiuc, its all about the angle with which the water hoses hit the heater core ends....so in theory if I detach the water hoses from their other side and try to connect it to the heater core end first, it should do the trick?
Last edited by Satanism on 30 Jan 2015, 18:22, edited 1 time in total.
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Coat/smear the rubber rings with Vaseline/petroleum jelly then place them in the matrix/female side of the joint and you'll find the joint will lock together far easier than having the rings on the hose side of the joint.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Satanism

Post by Satanism »

DickieG wrote:Coat/smear the rubber rings with Vaseline/petroleum jelly then place them in the matrix/female side of the joint and you'll find the joint will lock together far easier than having the rings on the hose side of the joint.
Hey, yup its how i've been doing it (only with motor oil but should be the same in theory).....the rings is not really the problem as its the same sheeet even without them....

Actually, what Mike T says makes a lot of sense....now I remember trying the hoses on another radiator( not installed in the car) and it went in like it's supposed to...minimal effort...
So i'm gonna try to put them at an angle tomorrow and fingers crossed it works....
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

No, it's nothing to do with angle of flexible hose connectors (imo) they're self-guiding, it's to do with the matrix side of the connections not fully protruding (though having said that, if the matrix/heater box is not "angled" correctly, it won't lock in either) and/or the fixing plate on the engine side not being fully screwed flush. Hope that clears up my clumsy attempt to describe what I mean.

Perhaps see if someone can force the matrix box from inside the car against the bulkhead while you clip the hoses on?
Satanism

Post by Satanism »

Hi, well i don't get everything you're saying or at least the logic behind the problem....I will give it a go again tomorrow....sadly I have assembled almost everything inside...so I will most probably need to disassemble at least a part of it again...:(
Thanks for your input!I will let you know what happened....when it eventually happens... :)
Satanism

Post by Satanism »

Well.....after A LOT of steady pressure (on the left one primarily) and a little help from a screwdriver it clicked.....if I haven't cracked the plastic somewhere it should be as good as new.... [-o<
Now....if somebody can help me out with info on which cable is which for the air con direction controls...i mixed them up....