Haynes Manual Dispatch 1.6hdi

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

davie_zone

Haynes Manual Dispatch 1.6hdi

Post by davie_zone »

Hi Guys

I have a Dispatch 2009 1.6hdi . Had loads of bother with the turbo . From reading around I have realised I need to clean out the oil pump sump filters etc etc etc .

I'm not that clued up on this stuff and I have had a cpl of mechanics mess me around so would like to do it myself so I know its done properly.

I would love a Haynes manual but cant find one.
Is there a manual for another car with the same engine that could help me or a place with some good tutorials of removing oil pumps etc etc etc.

I have looked on you tube and there is a cpl of thing but not everything.

Any advice welcome

Thanks In Advance

David
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Re: Haynes Manual Dispatch 1.6hdi

Post by RichardW »

Hi Davie!

I've just bought a Pug 307 Haynes which covers this engine. However, the oil sump is not that hard....

Jack up and support, or get it on ramps. Drain the oil. You will see there are about a dozen 8mm bolts and 2 10mm nuts. Undo the nuts (there may well be 2 on the pulley end, with a coolant pipe sandwiched in between, and the undo and remove all the bolts. One is above the exhaust, but you can get it out without removing the exhuast. Now unscrew the two studs at either end that you removed the nuts from - they have splines on the end so you can undo them with an E4 spline socket. They have built in washer that will pull the sump off the seal. Undo the 3 torx bolts that hold the oil pick up on - they are captive so they won't come out. Ease the pickup away from the egine. Pull the mesh strainer out of the bottom and junk it. Clean out the pickup and the sump, clean off all the sealant from the sump top edge (nightmare!), refit the oil pickup and then the sump, resealing with RTV silicone. Change the oil filter. Remove the vacuum pump from the end of the head (just 2 bolts) and clean the strainer on the oil inlet, and then refit. Refill with oil and you should be good to go. However, depending on who fitted the replacement turbo you may need to remove the oil filter from the oil feed pipe bottom banjo. Unfortunately to do this you need to remove the exhaust cat / DPF - first you need to remove the heat shield, which may entail removing the radiator depending on whether it's a 110, and how much room there is between the two!
Richard W
davie_zone

Post by davie_zone »

Hi Richard

Thanks so much for the advice. I bought all new banjo bolts for the last mechanic but I have a feeling they aren't even fitted which is why I'm going to attempt this myself.

When you say i have may have to remove the exhaust cat dpf . Is this a nightmare or is it dooable ? Also is the vacuum pump at the end of the head the oil pump I need to clean out or is this a separate job.

Sorry for being so clueless . I usually leave this in the hands of the experts but have wasted so much money and am no further forward I am forced into this . I'm a quick learner though at least lol .

So the 307 book will be pretty much the same as my engine ? I think I may need this haha

Thanks Again Richard I really appreciate your help

David
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Removing the cat is not too bad - it's easier if it's not got a DPF in it... Basically, undo the 7 bolts holding the heat shield on - 3 across the top, two down each side. The one in the middle of the LH side as you look at it can be awkward if it's got AC. If it's got a DPF there will be stainless pipes screwed into the exhaust - remove these. You can now fiddle the heat shield out - but you may need to remove the radiator, depending on how much room there is. With this removed, you can now undo the two exhaust clamps top and bottom (and disconnect the electrical connector at the RH side if it's DPF), then undo the two retaining nuts (half way down each side) and then you drop the cat/DPF out the bottom. The clamps can be a PITA! If they won't let go once the bolt is undone, lever the washer under the nut sort of sideways to get it to release. it's also a lot easier to get them off if you've got a pair of these!.

The vacuum pump is on the top front RH (as you look at it) end of the engine - under the air pipes. One of the bolts is long with a ball on the end to locate the air pipe. Undo the two bolts, and it can then be wiggled out of the head.
Richard W
davie_zone

Post by davie_zone »

Thanks again Richard I really appreciate it .

You will probably be seeing a lot more of me round here.
ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: '95 Xantia 1.9D automatic - 109k one of two remaining
'03 206 GTi180 - 97k in pieces being brought back up to snuff
'03 206 1.9TD - home-built veg-fuelled B-road bruiser
'99 306 SE 2.0i cabriolet - 92k awaiting service work ready for next summer
'97 306 XS 1.6i 3 door, Bianca White, from dead 12 years & seized solid to road legal in 7 days

Post by ekjdm14 »

Not 100% sure, but you could have a legal case against the garage that fitted a new turbo. IIUC the new turbos come with specific instructions that they are only to be fitted to a new or freshly rebuilt/cleaned engine, due to the oil issues, and that if fitted to an engine with previous turbo failure then the new turbo WILL fail? If that's the case then the garage possibly are responsible if they disregarded these warnings and didn't pass the message on to you...
'95 Xantia LX 1.9D-auto, Black, 109k
'03 206 GTi180 94k in surgery
'03 206 1.1S XUD9TE/veg project :mrgreen:
'99 306 2.0SE cabriolet 95k summer toy
'97 306 XS 1.6i 99k sat 12 years, fixed in 7 days, 150mile maiden voyage :rofl2:
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

It sounds like you've found a pretty poor garage!

A lot of times when a turbo goes a garage replaces it without checking for the reason behind it failing, so the new one fails shortly after. The 1.6HDi is well known for going through turbos but it can be avoided. There are 4 or 5 mesh filters around the engine which should be cleaned out or sometimes removed, which I guess is what you're going to be doing yourself.

The 1.6HDi seems quite a dirty engine and after an oil change the new oil is instantly black. I always suggest servicing the 1.6HDis at half the recommended intervals to keep the oil cleaner and therefore turbo feed pipes unblocked. I also only use Total ECS oil, which was made for these engines, its a low sulphur oil and helps greatly to prolong the life of the 1.6HDi and its turbo.

Most Haynes manuals which include the 1.6HDi will help, maybe the Berlingo one will be most appropriate?
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
citroenc5mad

Post by citroenc5mad »

Guys reviving a old post to find out what grade the rtv silicone is I've been looking, but all I can see is the colour differance nothing else, any help???
I find some on the bay under automotive section is that what I'm after??

Cheers all
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Any will do I think as long as it says high temp oil resistant.
Richard W