can anyone explain this to me please??

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

deano1970
My Cars: citroen C5 estate 58 plate.........2.0 hdi

can anyone explain this to me please??

Post by deano1970 »

hi,
ok I have googled this and can't find a suitable answer....this isn't a car problem but I know the citroen guys here are pretty clued up....ok, I am buying a car on saturday,I have a 4 hour train journey and I get the car....the car is taxed and mot'd till august. I know the tax doesn't transfer now with the car..... my question is, on saturday I won't get to a post office before they close,but as the car is already taxed,will it wait until monday? As far as I can see, the tax doesn't get refunded to the seller until they inform dvla of the sale?? I also have a car that is being picked up today that is taxed till august? when do I get my money back from tax left? same as the other I'm guessing? when dvla recieve notification that I no longer own it?? do I have to tell them in any other way, like e mail phone etc to tell them?? I just don't know?? thansk if anyone can help....just seems like a money making scam from dvla to me?? cheers.dean
C5 X7
citronut
My Cars:

Re: can anyone explain this to me please??

Post by citronut »

i think all the while both cars are still on big brothers data base as still registered to the present keeper, this will not get picked up by big brother is watching you,

although
if the present keep and buyer date and sign there doc's over on the day the cars are transferred to new keepers, big brother might pick up on this, and IF!!! they link it to either car being caught on ANPR in the interim, fines may be sent out by big brothers automatic machine

saying all that
the chances of two of big brothers auitomated machines talking to each other :yikes: :eye: :eye: is a bit remote
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
deano1970
My Cars: citroen C5 estate 58 plate.........2.0 hdi

Post by deano1970 »

ok,thanks,I see what you mean.....so,really,the best thing to do is, date the sale from monday when I can go and get the tax for myself?? that way,if the car was spotted on anpr camera,they would just link it to the present owner? although,I have checked askmid and it is showing as uninsured,although obviously this will not be the case by saturday?? oh i don't know...why do they have to confuse everything,why couldn't they leave the system as it was?? could have still done away with the disc??
C5 X7
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

The old owner will post off the V5 which will auto SORN the vehicle unless you've already taxed it. The old owner can also go online and SORN the car as soon as they have sold it, which they will probably do this close to the month end to get next month paid back. When I bought mine I asked the guy to leave the SORN and insurance until the next morning and drove it home, it was 90 miles and I didn't get stopped (I did have valid insurance).
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

Isn't there a proviso whereby you can tax the car when you register it in your name on the log book (V5?). I think I read somewhere that there is an online option for this.

And yes, it's a money making scam because the chances of selling your car on the last day of the month to get a refund, and buying a new car on the first day of the month so as to get a full 6/12 months tax for your dosh is quite an art. DVLA will charge from the first of the month even if you buy on the 29th, and of course will only refund each complete month. Basically at least 50% of motors will theoretically be taxed by two different owners at the point of sale. I suppose it's one way to recover cash from the thousands of people who don't think it's worth while getting a road fund lisence, and have a fairly decent chance of getting away with it. No-one will convince me that ANPR cameras will cover every vehicle on every road in the UK.

Getting definitive info is a bit of a minefield . 8-[
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

As long as no-one has told DVLA anything it will still show up on ANPR as taxed which is all you need to worry about. In any case, since DVLA will only give you full months back, it is de-facto taxed to the end of the month anyway (albeit that this might not hold much water with the plod if you do get stopped....). If you can put off using it till the end of the month, then you can avoid paying the full months tax for 6 days use, which is all you are going to get.... :roll:
Richard W
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

elma wrote:The old owner will post off the V5 which will auto SORN the vehicle unless you've already taxed it. The old owner can also go online and SORN the car as soon as they have sold it,
trouble there is SORN in not transferable from one owner to the next either,
qprdude wrote:Isn't there a proviso whereby you can tax the car when you register it in your name on the log book (V5?). I think I read somewhere that there is an online option for this.
the new keeper can not purchase road tax online till they receive the new V5C ( reg doc ) in there name,

but they can walk into a postoffice and purchase it with the new keepers supplement ( green slip )

And yes, it's a money making scam because the chances of selling your car on the last day of the month to get a refund, and buying a new car on the first day of the month so as to get a full 6/12 months tax for your dosh is quite an art. DVLA will charge from the first of the month even if you buy on the 29th, and of course will only refund each complete month.

its always been like this even before the new system started, you only get refunded for any full month left as long as your claim is in the post on the last day of the month before
Regards, malcolm.

hamster99

Post by hamster99 »

Is it really worth worrying about the cost for a few days? Tax for my C5 is around £180 a year which is only 50p a day.
15 C4 1.6 eHDI 115 Exclusive - better half's
12 RR Westminster 4.4 TDV8 - Gentleman's Club on wheels
05 C5 2.0 HDI 138 Exclusive - gone but not forgotten
05 C5 2.0 HDI 138 VTR - crushed May 2015
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Do you have a smartphone ? As far as I was led to believe you are able to tax the car on line 24/7 using the number off the green slip ? If you don't have a smartphone maybe the seller would let you use their internet connection ?
chinkostu
My Cars: N Xantia 1.9TD SX
03 Fiesta 1.4 Zetec

Post by chinkostu »

The DVLA won't get the logbook back until the next day if its posted ASAP anyway, so as far as their concerned it is taxed. I retaxed mine with the green slip and the cashier confirmed if it was a new owner so i'm sure theres a flag there to stop the old owner sorning it after its been retaxed.
Stu

Cars
1995 Xantia 1.9TD SX in (faded) Red
2003 Fiesta 1.4 Zetec in GREEEEEEEN
2001 206 1.9 LX
2001 Saxo VTR
1999 Saxo 1.1 East coast
1999 Punto :oops:
1996 306 1.8 XN Auto :?
1996 Fiesta 1.3 #-o
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

hamster99 wrote:Is it really worth worrying about the cost for a few days? Tax for my C5 is around £180 a year which is only 50p a day.
True, but that's £15 a month - which is the minimum unit DVLA work in. And we all want to minimise the amount we give HMG..... :twisted:
Richard W
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

I insured and taxed my van on the Internet 2 minutes after I bought it at the auction. The only thing you need is the 11 digit number off the v5 or the new keepers green slip. It's easy to do.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

I think that's what I meant Davie. When I moved house and changed the address on the car V5, there was a question that said something about taxing the car at the same time if need be.
The question about "a few days tax" is a bit misleading isn't it? If you sell your car on the 2nd of the month for instance, ( Perhaps when the perfect car for you comes on the market), you lose around 28 days. That ain't "a few days" to people on a budget, and it's not something you would accept from a commercial transaction. Imagine a retailer offering a partial refund because of the day of the month you claim it! It is a con, pure and simple. A one way deal where, whether you are buying or selling, the taxman cannot lose.
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

I sornd mine the day after I bought it using the number off the new keepers supplement. The option to tax it was available online as well even though the old owner had it taxed at the time. I wouldn't wait for the dvla, my v5c was 2months.
The month thing really bothers me, but we never fight against these things here like other european countries will. The one that really gets to me though is that if we pay for our insurance monthly its a credit arrangement with interest. How does that work? Your not using the insurance until the month you pay for it and its paid for up front each month. Can you imagine if gas and electric went like that, there'd be outcry.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

the 12 not 11 digits on the green slip is the same as that on the previous owners V5C with 2 added at the beginning,

this reference number/code is linked to the present registered keeper, so there for you can not as far as im aware use this on line to tax the car on change of ownership,
but only at a post office
Regards, malcolm.