Citroen Xantia HDI LX Suspension

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

RobCeaseFire
My Cars:

Citroen Xantia HDI LX Suspension

Post by RobCeaseFire »

Hi there all.
I have a 1999 Xantia HDI. At last all seems to be running well. Except for one thing that has started to bother me. We have quite a few sleeping policemen around here and I need to go over them (ha ha). Whenever I do, a squeak has developed as I descend. It has started to get a little worse. Any idea on what this could be?
Oh, while I'm at it, my idle speed has got faster. If I give the accelerator a quick tap, sometimes it goes back to normal. Is it a lever?
Thanks so much for any feedback.
8-)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Citroen Xantia HDI LX Suspension

Post by CitroJim »

If I were an innocent policeman having a kip in the middle of the road I think I'd squeak if I was run over by a Xantia...

Seriously, you should be able to narrow this noise down by bouncing each end of the car in turn.. Likely culprits are dry front struts or slightly worn rear arm bearings...

The latter can often be heard whilst the car rises from full low to full high although usually they creak rather than squeak.

The front struts can be lubricated by pulling down their gaiters when on high and wiping the exposed piston with some light grease or light mineral oil. LHM can be used but it won't last long...

EDIT: Sorry, the idle problem. The throttle cable terminates on an electronic 'pot' just under the airbox. It's worth checking the cable is not binding and that the pot itself operates smoothly..

The pot may be starting to fail although usually when they do they raise a fault code and light the Engine Management Light...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
RobCeaseFire
My Cars:

Re: Citroen Xantia HDI LX Suspension

Post by RobCeaseFire »

Oh yeah, ok thanx for that info! I will do some checking tomorrow. Or steer around them!