Citroen C5 2.0HDI VTR 04 reg Heater Blower Fault

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

JIMMY8008

Citroen C5 2.0HDI VTR 04 reg Heater Blower Fault

Post by JIMMY8008 »

Hello

I have a problem with my heater blower on my Citroen C5 2.0HDI VTR 2004 reg, it stopped working in position 1 and 2 some time ago, now number 3 has stopped working.
I have looked through the Haynes manual and this forum and it appears to point to the Heater Blower Resistor, however most if not all posts say it is located next to the left of the clutch pedal in the drivers foot well (UK spec)
I have removed the trims in the right side foot well and it is definitely not there, all I can see is a molded plastic cover on the side of the heater unit there are no wires, no green plugs to disconnect and no screws. (where the heater resister should be located looks like a blanking plate in a similar shape)
If anybody could offer any information to where I could find it I would be grateful.

Also looking on e-bay for a replacement it shows the same part number is advertised at £114 with black connector sockets or £20 with green connector sockets. Would I be ok to install the cheaper version?

Many thanks in advance for any help or information offered.
James
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: Citroen C5 2.0HDI VTR 04 reg Heater Blower Fault

Post by myglaren »

Presuming you have climate control?
If so it is definitely where described.

Image Image

If just aircon then try this thread.

Ignore the £114 ones - I have recently replaced mine for twenty quid and it has a lifetime warranty.

I'll stick a link in shortly but haven't my ebay password on this computer.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Here's a link to one on eBay
Not the people I bought mine from but similar price.There are a few more even cheaper.
There is also a repair option but with postage it works out at about the same price. Considering having my old one repaired as a spare.
JIMMY8008

Post by JIMMY8008 »

Thank you myglaren that makes sense now and looks a totally different type of resistor to the one I was going to buy!!!
I have seen this on the passenger side but did not think it was the resistor.
The ebay link, I think is to the resistor for the climate control version with the green sockets, on the forum link it shows a really early style resistor.
I will have another look on ebay and also a look in the car tomorrow morning and post the results!

Many thanks for the info.
James
JIMMY8008

Post by JIMMY8008 »

Hiya
Had another go at the resistor today, dismantled glove box and found it in round the back of the heater.
Quick question I disconnected the connector and found burnt connectors, then removed the resistor which was also rather burnt but the heater still works on position 4 without the resistor in, is that normal? or does it mean there is another problem?
Also these resistors are difficult to come by and do require a modified connector installing.
Any information appreciated.
Thanks
James
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Did you check the thread I linked to above?
this is what Paul discovered:

If yours is similar to this then definitely read that thread and Paul's fix.

The ones I have used have shown no burning at all and just fail completely - the last one had been bodged in prior to my buying the car and fell out on my feet while driving, burned my hands when I went to push it back in it's home. and burned through the wiring.
Bought a replacement plug as I mangled the original trying to re-wire it but by then the original module was toast so bought the replacement from eBay - previous replacement (not the current C5) was sourced from a local dealer for around £100.
JIMMY8008

Post by JIMMY8008 »

Yes thanks, I did look at Paul's thread and fix, it was very useful and in fairness mine is pretty much identical, but I didn't understand why with the block disconnected and Resistor removed the blower still worked in position 4? I thought it would not work at all.
I will have another read at his thread to see if I have mist a bit.
Thanks
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

From what you have said it seems that yours is aircon rather than climate control and the resistor module is just that and not the module I linked to.
There is a set of resistors that limit the fan speed and these overheat and blow a thermal fuse - or should do but it looks as though if that fails for some reason then the contacts and wiring burn.
The fan receives full voltage for full speed, so no resistor, which is why it will run full speed only.
It is possible there is a fault with the fan and it is drawing more current than the wiring and contacts can handle.
JIMMY8008

Post by JIMMY8008 »

Thank you that makes sense now.
I have found a new resistor from a place in Derby for £34, when it turned it was original Valeo!!
I have done the wiring mods and soldered the joints and I am now trying to get the resistor in to place which is very difficult with the original retaining lugs in place!!!!
JIMMY8008

Post by JIMMY8008 »

Job done and all is working a lot better than before!!!

This is a nice easy fix for a DIY mechanic and cost £34 instead of £250.

Thanks for the help and information.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Pleased it was a success and at a very good price :)