Fluctuating volume from my AUX sockets

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Dublin Tony

Fluctuating volume from my AUX sockets

Post by Dublin Tony »

When I plug my iPhone into the RCA sockets in the glovebox, I can listen to my music. However, every so often, the volume level drops considerably, and I have to crank the volume up to the max.
The phone is connected to the ICE system by bluetooth for calls and such and I notice that if I make/receive a call, after the call the volume level is restored. Of course the AUX channel is at maximum output now and is WAY too loud!

Can anyone shed light on this problem? :?:

2010 Citroen C5 X7 2.0 HDi 163HP Nav Plus
2010 Citroen C5 X7 2.0 HDi 163HP Nav Plus remapped to 190 bhp & 300 FtLb Torque :-D
2004 Xsara van 2.0 HDi 90bhp Superchipped to 115 bhp
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Re: Fluctuating volume from my AUX sockets

Post by Stickyfinger »

I would look at the IPhone...........Have you got the phone music player defaulting to "sound leveling" or "auto levels" note: Samsung/Android terms....would never touch apple :)
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
osx
(Donor 2022)
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: GSA X
BX 1.6
C5 X7 Auto
C5 X7x2 Manual

Post by osx »

It's not the AUX socket, never had this problem so I would try with another music player/mp3 player and see if it happens again.
C5 X7 Exclusive 2.0 HDi Auto
C5 X7 Exclusive 2.0 HDi Manual
Dublin Tony

Post by Dublin Tony »

I use the iPhone in my work vehicle (Toyota Landcruiser). It uses the headphone jack as well. No problems there, so I'm thinking it has to be the C5.
I'll try my daughter's ipod. Fingers crossed I don't lose the will to live listening to 1 Direction.
2010 Citroen C5 X7 2.0 HDi 163HP Nav Plus remapped to 190 bhp & 300 FtLb Torque :-D
2004 Xsara van 2.0 HDi 90bhp Superchipped to 115 bhp
dei9
My Cars:

Post by dei9 »

Thats a funny one. Can't you connect over bluetooth in general, and let the iPhone handle the switching over from music to calls and vice versa (if i've read the problem correctly)?
...from Dei

1999 Xantia 2.0 Hdi 110 Exclusive (8396)
2001 Xsara 2.0 Hdi 110 LX Auto
vborovic
Locked user account
My Cars: A used Citroen

Post by vborovic »

Only the latest RT6 (emyway) device can handle music streaming from mobile phones (via bluetooth), for all the others (disregarding those juiced up chinese versions) only the talk feature is supported, nothing else
Last edited by vborovic on 17 Jan 2015, 14:08, edited 1 time in total.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Dublin Tony wrote:When I plug my iPhone into the RCA sockets in the glovebox, I can listen to my music. However, every so often, the volume level drops considerably, and I have to crank the volume up to the max.
The phone is connected to the ICE system by bluetooth for calls and such and I notice that if I make/receive a call, after the call the volume level is restored. Of course the AUX channel is at maximum output now and is WAY too loud!

Can anyone shed light on this problem? :?:
I think you'll find it's a bug in iOS as I see a similar problem with my iPhone 6 just using headphones. I listen to podcasts a lot on my commute and sometimes for no good reason the volume level will drop a lot and I have to turn the volume up to nearly maximum to get the same volume level. (Where it was only on about 60% before)

Like you if I make a phone call the volume is suddenly loud again afterwards.

I can't see any way the radio that you're plugging into could be causing the problem especially if taking a call restores normal volume afterwards!
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
mooseshaver
My Cars:

Post by mooseshaver »

vborovic wrote:Only the latest RT6 (emyway) device can handle music streaming from mobile phones (via bluetooth), for all the others (disregarding those juiced up chinese versions) only the talk feature is supported, nothing else
Mine does Bluetooth audio streaming. I don't think it's a Chinese one.
C5 III Tourer 2.0 HDi 163 Auto Exclusive
Gone cars.
C5 2.2 HDi Exclusive Estate auto 57. Awesome car. Sadly Could not be fixed by Citroen.
C5 1.6 HDi VTR Estate 56. Traded in.
C5 2.2 HDi SX Estate 02. Drowned in the floods of 09.
C3 1.4 HDi 92 SX 52.
Saxo 1.1 East Coast.
vborovic
Locked user account
My Cars: A used Citroen

Post by vborovic »

We've discussed this in the other topic, there are two BT chip generations on RD4 (RD45) radio units ... early models have no BT, some allow for phone talking, and the newest revisions allow for music streaming ... sadly, we sill don't know how to identify which is which ... and the genuine manuals aren't exactly helpful either ... the same applies for the RT6, basically the same unit, but the hardware can be very different (in terms of which extra features are supported or not) .. again, no real useable documentation to see which is which ...
Dommo
My Cars: Current
07 C5 VTX+ 2.2 HDi 173hp
97 S1 Activa
06 Boxster S
93 XM 2.1 Turbo SD

Previous cars
91 Toyota Soarer UZZ32 Active Suspension
97 S1 VSX 1.9 Turbo D
99 Xantia Activa
98 2.1TD Xantia
99 306

Post by Dommo »

I find my volume drops randomly when my Facebook app is open in the background. Double tap the home button and swipe the FB app upwards to properly close it (assuming you use it at all), and that might fix it.

I think I've linked it to the videos that the FB app sometimes automatically plays, and drops the volume so you can hear the video accordingly. Worth a shot?