Help choosing right manifold gaskets.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Help choosing right manifold gaskets.

Post by elma »

If you've come across my blog you are probably aware that I have a multiple problems with the smooth running of my engine. These include erratic idle that is linked to electrical load but only when hot, when cold the idle is just a little unpredictable, lack of turbo power over about 2500rpm, wrong noise from the engine it sounds more throaty and enginy than my previous Xantias which were refined with a noticeable turbo whoosh. The alternator was changed yesterday and the revs varying has remained so I'm now blaming/fixing the engine. It is worth noting that the diesel pump has been messed with before I got the car and by me trying to put it back to factory settings, it's not quite there yet.

I've been working my way through the faults with the car and now it's time to address the inlet and exhaust gaskets. Stupidly I bought a set for the inlet only, which is Here
I actually will replace the exhaust gasket at the same time but I'm confused as to which part I need.
I can only find This
I thought I could get 2 squares to fill in the gap, does it even matter?

It was a pig to get at on the 306 when I did the same, the Xantia doesn't look quite as bad. Will it be necessary to undo the top engine mount? Or is there room at the back to get it all done?

Should have said it's for an Xud9 turbo, car in my signature.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Help choosing right manifold gaskets.

Post by CitroJim »

Elma, having the exhaust manifold off is a murderous job but very possible in-situ. I've done it but there's one 13mm stud on the inlet manifold which is a devil...

I still shudder even now when I think of it...

I'd do the manifold gaskets as a very last option.. The more likely culprit is the 'Brillo Pad' gasket between the turbo outlet and the exhaust downpipe...

Look for soot as a tell-tale of blows...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Re: Help choosing right manifold gaskets.

Post by elma »

I had as best a look as I can, used a mirror and a torch. The exhaust joint looks fairly clean, I'll replace the seal though with this one. I noticed the rocker gasket is leaking so that needs to be changed, the little I could see of the manifold gasket had no soot but I reckon I saw about 5% of it at most. I think I'll get this kit as well because it has the inlet and rocker gaskets. I noticed a little of what may be soot or dirt on the edge of where the big round hose comes out of the top of the inlet so the kit will have that as well.

I know which nut haunts you Jim, I shredded the back of my hands on the 306 getting at it. I think I need to do it though, until this engine works right I've got a list of potential causes thats really long and I don't think it's any one of them. I think I have so many half worn out bits it's adding up to big problems or maybe a knackered diesel pump. I haven't dealt with anything quite like this before and the engine lacks torque. I'll be glad to get to the bottom of it though, theres a good car underneath.