Xsara belt changes - how similar to XUD?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

smoker

Xsara belt changes - how similar to XUD?

Post by smoker »

My Xsara 110hdi has 93k on the clock, but came with no record of timing/aux belt changes. This obviously means it may or may not have been done. If it passes it MOT due soon, I'll look to do belts, pulleys etc myself. I've done a few XUD belt changes successfully. My question - how similar is the job on the HDI and what are the key differences if any?

Many thx.
52 reg Xsara 110 hdi
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Xsara belt changes - how similar to XUD?

Post by CitroJim »

You'll find the HDi a lot easier than the XUD for both cam and aux. belts. Only the cam and crank needs locking as the pump is untimed. Lock the crank in the same way...

The major difference is that the cam belt is manually tensioned in the same was and the TU engine or 8V XU belts is. Strictly you should use a SEEM gauge to tension the belt but the old 90 degrees 'twixt finger and thumb works perfectly...

Check the crank pulley is good and do check the condition of the aux. belt tensioners...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
smoker

Post by smoker »

Many thanks. Other than the absence of a pump timing issue, is the process similar, or at least intuitive?

Oh, and is the 90 degrees between the tensioner and the cam?
52 reg Xsara 110 hdi
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Info here (ref to Xantia, but the Xsara will be similar): http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... 11&t=33939" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Likely that the one you will be working on will not have a vernier pulley on the cam, but will have a floating crank pulley instead.
Richard W